Square Books Named ‘PW’ Bookstore of the Year; Miller Rep
By Judith Rosen |
Apr 01, 2013
Mississippi’s Square Books
This year’s 20th anniversary PWBookstore of the Year Award goes to Square Books on the historic town square of Oxford, Miss., the center of the fictional Yoknapatawpha County in William Faulkner’s novels. Founded by Richard and Lisa Howorth in 1979, the store has grown into a trio of store fronts over the past three decades. It hosts “Thacker Mountain Radio” show, a live radio show with author readings and musical performances that airs on Mississippi Public Radio, and the annual Oxford Conference on the Book. Later this month it will hold its second annual Camp Square Books for adults—four days of author talks, lectures, hikes, and meals.
“I love the place,” says author John Grisham, a Square Books regular. “When you walk in the front door you can smell books. Time stops, and you want to browse and read and gossip and drink coffee upstairs on the balcony for the rest of the day. If you want a book, it’s somewhere in the store.
If you want to know something about a book or an author, Richard or one of his staff will have the answers. If you want to meet authors, they’ll stop by soon enough.
As Grove Atlantic publisher Morgan Entrekin noted in a letter to the awards committee, “I am somewhat surprised to find myself writing a letter recommending that Square Books be selected as Bookstore of the Year primarily because I cannot believe it has not been selected before. Square Books is one of the greatest bookstores in America.”
Bruce Joshua Miller of Miller Trade Book Marketing, who led the fight to save the University of Missouri Press after funding was to be ended last May was selected as the 2013PW Rep of the Year. “I believe Miller is probably the only successful sales representative to spearhead a mass movement to save a major prize-winning university press on the side,” wrote UMP author Jon David Cash (Before They Were Cardinals). UMP consulting director Jane Lago added, “there is no doubt that Bruce has gone behind the call of duty on behalf of the Press. He has put in more hours than can ever be justified by the commissions he earns. He has done so because of his belief in the value of university press publishing.”
Look for in-depth interviews with the 2013 award-winners in the April 29 pre-BEA issue of Publishers Weekly magazine.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- Barry Gordon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.