From Steve Horn:
I have another investigative effort up on DeSmogBlog today, this time taking a swing at the “frackademia” study out of USC, being touted by the state’s biggest paper – The Los Angeles Times – as a legitimate study. Well, follow the money and people who wrote it and it tells a whole different story and some of it is quite shocking.
These industry-sponsored studies are part of the PR game plan, since as it said itself at an industry conference in Houston in Nov. 2011, the public trusts a university more than the industry itself and is a great front group.
Any help pushing this out would be helpful. Cross-posts welcome, but please link back to DeSmogBlog.
“Frackademia” Strikes Again at USC with “Powering California” Study Release
“Frackademia” – shorthand for bogus science, economics and other research results paid for by the oil and gas industry and often conducted by “frackademics” with direct ties to the oil and gas industry – has struck again in California.
It comes in the form of a major University of Southern California (USC) report on the potential economic impacts of a hydraulic fracturing (“fracking”) boom in California’sMonterey Shale basin that’s hot off the presses, “Powering California: The Monterey Shale and California’s Economic Future.”
California Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown recently gave his cautious support to fracking, the toxic process via which oil and gas embedded deep within shale rock basins made famous by the documentary film “Gasland,” currently a topic of contention in California. The new report gleefully says we could be witnessing 1849 all over again, the second-coming of a “Gold Rush,” a term the co-authors utilize 9 times in the Preface.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.