Breaking News and Commentary from Citizens for Legitimate Government
24 Mar 2013
Pentagon requests $49 million to build new prison at Guantánamo for ‘special’ detainees 21 Mar 2013 The United States Southern Command has requested $49 million to build a new prison building at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, for “special” detainees prisoners on top of other renovations it says are necessary since Congress has decided to keep it open indefinitely. That brings the potential taxpayer bill for upgrading the deteriorating facilities to an estimated $195.7 million, the military said on Thursday. That overall price tag is significantly higher than the estimate of $150 million to $170 million that General John F. Kelly, the Southcom commander, gave in Congressional testimony on Wednesday. The special detainee facility was not included on the list of requested construction projects released by Southcom on Wednesday when reporters asked for details. [There’s $200 million for the Pentagon’s corpora-terrorist trolls to keep rebuilding prisons at Guantánamo–and yet, Obama and the GOP keep pushing to slash Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid?]
No sequester for Guantanamo Bay: Guantanamo Bay has become money pit – former prison official 22 Mar 2013 Former Guantanamo prison official Ret. Col. Morris Davis has discussed with RT how the once ‘temporary’ facility has become a money pit as repair costs and yearly maintenance bills begin to pile up. As prison officials at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, struggle to explain an inmate hunger strike a new report has revealed that the United States Southern Command has requested funding for construction of a new building, as well as for maintenance on the existing facility. Media outlets have speculated that the new project could cost American taxpayers a sum approaching $200 million, a sum that had some scratching their heads after Southern Command General John F. Kelly testified before Congress Wednesday that the ‘improvements’ would cost between $150 and $170 million.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- US cops snatch hundreds of millions—legally—from motorists who’ve done no wrong
- Koch fiends in Wisconsin Senate poised to scrap 48-hour wait before handgun purchase
- Comcast throws in the towel, won’t eat Time Warner after all
- “Why Obama Should Pardon Don Siegelman” (Jeffrey Toobin in The New Yorker!)
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Early America
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- Richard Charnin
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- Writers Voice
- Media Matters
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.