Mr. Drake Goes To Washington
by Andrew Kreig
Former National Security Agency executive Thomas Drake warned the public March 15 at the National Press Club against the federal government’s crackdown on whistleblowers.
Drake, who escaped a potential term of life in prison for communicating with a Baltimore Sun reporter, said the government has the ability to make such conduct illegal retroactively. Regarding the larger issues, he asked, “How else will the press report the real news when their sources dry up and the government becomes a primary purveyor of its own news?”
Drake’s revelations and passion resembled James Stewart’s iconic performance in Mr. Smith Goes To Washington protesting corruption, including during a Senate filibuster. Yet Drake, at left in a Noel St. John photo from the club speech, focused on dangers far more important than the 1939 film’s portrayal of corruption in Congress.
Drake describes pervasive surveillance on Americans by spy agencies as well as an alleged billion dollars in wasteful spending to well-connected contractors. He says the wasteful overpayment exists even if one accepts the premise that the government must secretly undertake such surveillance – regarded as illegal in the United States until secretly authorized in recent years.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.