Mr. Drake Goes To Washington
by Andrew Kreig
Former National Security Agency executive Thomas Drake warned the public March 15 at the National Press Club against the federal government’s crackdown on whistleblowers.
Drake, who escaped a potential term of life in prison for communicating with a Baltimore Sun reporter, said the government has the ability to make such conduct illegal retroactively. Regarding the larger issues, he asked, “How else will the press report the real news when their sources dry up and the government becomes a primary purveyor of its own news?”
Drake’s revelations and passion resembled James Stewart’s iconic performance in Mr. Smith Goes To Washington protesting corruption, including during a Senate filibuster. Yet Drake, at left in a Noel St. John photo from the club speech, focused on dangers far more important than the 1939 film’s portrayal of corruption in Congress.
Drake describes pervasive surveillance on Americans by spy agencies as well as an alleged billion dollars in wasteful spending to well-connected contractors. He says the wasteful overpayment exists even if one accepts the premise that the government must secretly undertake such surveillance – regarded as illegal in the United States until secretly authorized in recent years.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
- Early America
- William Betz
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- alias Bruce
- Talking Points Memo
- Mainstream Baptist
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.