Afghan Leader Alleges US, Taliban Are Colluding
By RAHIM FAIEZ and KIMBERLY DOZIER Associated Press
KABUL, Afghanistan March 10, 2013 (AP)
Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Sunday accused the Taliban and the U.S. of working in concert to convince Afghans that violence will worsen if most foreign troops leave — an allegation the top American commander in Afghanistan rejected as “categorically false.”
Karzai said two suicide bombings that killed 19 people on Saturday — one outside the Afghan Defense Ministry and the other near a police checkpoint in eastern Khost province — show the insurgent group is conducting attacks to demonstrate that international forces will still be needed to keep the peace after their current combat mission ends in 2014.
“The explosions in Kabul and Khost yesterday showed that they are at the service of America and at the service of this phrase: 2014. They are trying to frighten us into thinking that if the foreigners are not in Afghanistan, we would be facing these sorts of incidents,” he said during a nationally televised speech about the state of Afghan women.
Afghanistan urges coalition to stop “abusing” university students
Afghan President Hamid Karzai gives a speech during an event to mark International Women’s Day in Kabul March 10, 2013. REUTERS/Mohammad Ismail
KABUL | Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:56am EDT
(Reuters) – Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s government on Sunday accused U.S.-led forces and Afghans working with them of abusing and arresting university students and urged them to stop such acts.
The allegations were made during a visit by U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel. “We notify the international coalition force’s leadership to avoid such acts which are against Afghanistan’s national sovereignty,” Afghanistan’s Council of Ministers said in a statement.
(Reporting by Mirwais Harooni; Writing by Michael Georgy; Editing by Robert Birsel)
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.