Arkansas residents evacuate as Exxon-Mobil tar sands pipeline ruptures
By David Ferguson
Saturday, March 30, 2013 12:38 EDT
An Exxon-Mobil oil pipeline ruptured Friday afternoon in the town of Mayflower, Arkansas, forcing the evacuation of 20 homes and shutting down sections of interstate highway. According to Little Rock’s KATV, a hazardous materials team from the Office of Emergency Management has contained the spill and is currently attempting a cleanup. The burst pipe is part of the Pegasus pipeline network, which connects tar sands along the Gulf coast to refineries in Houston. Thousands of gallons of crude oil erupted from the breach around 3:00 p.m. on Friday, spilling through a housing subdivision and into the town’s storm drainage system, fouling drainage ditches and shutting down Highway 365 and Interstate 40.
Residents were evacuated to avoid health hazards from crude oil fumes and to keep stray sparks from igniting the standing oil. Emergency workers contained the spill by hastily constructing earthen dams.
Exxon-Mobil reportedly has a crew investigating the accident. The company released a statement Friday that read, in part, “We are working with emergency responders and local authorities to respond to the incident and are establishing an information line for community support. We regret that this incident has occurred and we apologize for any disruption or inconvenience this has caused.”
2 Comments to “Exxon-Mobile tar sands pipeline breaks in Arkansas, residents evacuated!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- US forced Iraqis to buy seeds from Monsanto—and now we're ALL under the gun! (2)
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- History Unfolding
- Cody Lyon
- Talking Points Memo
- Words of Power
- Writers Voice
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.