China claims most cyber-attacks on its military websites have US origin
Beijing says defence ministry and another site subjected to 1.7m attacks last year, two-thirds of which came from within America
Reuters in Beijing
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 28 February 2013 05.15 EST
Two Chinese military websites were subject to about 144,000 hacking attacks a month last year, almost two-thirds of which came from the US, China’s defence ministry has said.
Earlier this month a US computer security company said a Chinese military unit was probably behind a series of hacking attacks mostly targeting America, triggering a war of words between Washington and Beijing. China denied the allegations and said it was the victim.
Beijing has now provided some details for the first time of the alleged attacks from the US. “The defence ministry and China military online websites have faced a serious threat from hacking attacks since they were established, and the number of hacks has risen steadily in recent years,” said a ministry spokesman, Geng Yansheng, on Thursday.