Strike Debt has just abolished medical debt for a thousand people!
Over 1,000 people are receiving notice that their debt is HISTORY
Mar 16 – 23 is a Week of Action to Declare a Healthcare Emergency: It’s a Matter of #LifeOrDebt
Spread the word!
Sample Twitter and Facebook posts at the end of this message
The Jubilee is Rolling – $1 MILLION in debt abolished for over a thousand people. Last year we launched the Rolling Jubilee, a campaign that buys debt for pennies on the dollar and abolishes it. We originally set out to raise $50,000 to buy $1,000,000 in debt. To date, we’ve raised over ten times that amount, enough to eventually purchase eleven million dollars of debt!
After a great deal of research and diligence, we are thrilled to announce that we have completed our second purchase of medical debt. This time, we bought just over $1 million in debt from emergency rooms in Kentucky and Indiana. We will be abolishing the debt of over 1,000 people, with an average of around $900 per person.
Week of demonstrations – March 16th to March 23rd. Thousands of people will mark this event with a week of actions, in NYC and several other cities across the nation: protesting hospital closures and for-profit insurance corporations, and demonstrating a world where healthcare is not a line item on a corporate balance sheet. See our announcement for more information, and to find (or start!) an action near you.
Join us in NYC:
Thursday, March 21st at 4pm in Bryant Park we march to protest the private, for-profit insurance system!
Saturday, March 23rd we demonstrate a humane system with a free health fair! Starting at 9:30am and running all day in Washington Square Park
This is only the beginning. We envision Rolling Jubilee as “a spark – not the solution.” We can’t abolish all the debt that exists, but we can educate ourselves about the way debt works and spur action that will stop medical debt at its source. We hope that this week of attacks on the for-profit healthcare system will serve as an example, and an inspiration.
Help us build a movement! The Rolling Jubilee is not the only way to Strike Debt. We formed Strike Debt because we believe we need a debt resistance movement. And others agree! Generous individuals have donated over $500,000 to the campaign and have sent us thousands of emails, sharing personal stories of illness and injury and expressing support for the cause. To build this movement, we need to keep up the momentum. Here are some tools you can use wherever you are:
Strike Debt near you with these tools
The Strike Debt Organizing Kit – Organize around debt in your own neighborhood!
The Debt Resisters’ Operations Manual – Practical tools for resisting debt in your everyday life.
Can’t make it to an action? Show solidarity with #LifeOrDebt
– Wear a red square; or just wear red!
– Call or email an insurance company – demand justice, share your outrage, tell them your story
– Whatever you do, document yourself taking action, and put it on our tumblr.
Spread the word! Post our announcement – http://strikedebt.org/lifeordebt
On Twitter, use the hashtag #LifeOrDebt. For example:
The Jubilee is Rolling! @StrikeDebt just erased $1MILLION in emergency room debt. Now it’s time for action http://ow.ly/iVzfW #LifeOrDebt
On Facebook, share or copy this post: http://ow.ly/iVy20
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Early America
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- Online Journal
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.