Mislabeled fish a widespread problem
Updated 9:13 am, Thursday, February 21, 2013
A third of the seafood sold nationwide and almost 40 percent of the fish purchased by consumers in Northern California was not what it was touted to be, a study released Thursday by the nonprofit group Oceana revealed.
Genetic testing of 1,215 fish taken from 674 retail outlets, grocery stores and sushi bars throughout the United States between 2010 and 2012 found that 33 percent of the samples had been mislabeled, according to U.S. Food and Drug Administration guidelines.
Researchers with Oceana, a group dedicated to preserving the ocean ecosystem, reported finding seafood mislabeling in all 21 states where they tested, including retail outlets in San Francisco, Monterey, Los Angeles, Seattle and Portland.
Nationwide fish mislabeling poses health risk, expert says
February 22, 2013 10:56 AM
(CBS News) After a report issued by an environmental group found that more than a third of the fish from over 1,200 samples taken from retail outlets across the U.S. was mislabeled, Dr. Urvashi Rangan, the Director of Consumer Safety and Sustainability at Consumer Reports, spoke to “CBS This Morning” about the real danger behind mislabeled fish.
The “biggest offenders seem to be red snapper … tuna, grouper,” she said. “We found sole was also mislabeled.”
Rangan explained that while “often times cheaper fish are being substituted and being sold as more expensive fish,” the mislabeling can pose a health risk, too.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The Ostroy Report
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- William Betz
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Media Matters
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- t r u t h o u t
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.