JFK DEATH SECRETS TEST CIA, COURT PROCEDURES
by Andrew Kreig
A prominent researcher on secrets remaining from the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy argued Feb. 25 in federal court for legal fees required to win his 2003 request to the CIA for documents under Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
Jefferson Morley, an author and blogger at Salon and the website JFK Facts, asked three federal appeals court judges in Washington, DC to overturn a lower court ruling that blocked compensation. The judge and the CIA argued that the CIA documents were neither new nor important. Morley countered by noting the number of news articles based on the disclosures, including a New York Times article in 2009.
The appellate panel reserved decision. The case is yet-another test of whether agencies can grind down researchers in near-endless and expensive litigation despite congressional intent with the 1974 FOIA to open public records under reasonable conditions.
CONSPIRACY THEORY IN AMERICA
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Now you see it, soon you won’t: Welcome to the memory hole
- Guardian has published only 1% of what Snowden gave them
- CIA’s contra/cocaine scheme was a REAL conspiracy, not a “theory”
- What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- wombat on What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014 :: News … | Save The Pacific Ocean on Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014
- Gus Wynn on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Robin Roland on Score one (at last) for the Election Integrity movement!
- Julie on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- CIA's contra/cocaine scheme was a REAL conspiracy, not a "theory"
- Here are many MORE things NOT to buy from Koch...
- Iceland got over the recession fast—by jailing the banksters, and bailing out the people
- Now you see it, soon you won't: Welcome to the memory hole
- Online Journal
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Talking Points Memo
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Ostroy Report
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.