Obama Calls For Another Presidential Voting Commission – But Will It Mirror the Sham Baker/Carter Election Commission After 2004?
UPDATE: Swift voting or Swift Boating?! Disgraced Bush/Cheney/Swift Boat GOP operative, Ben Ginsberg tapped to co-chair panel…
By BRAD FRIEDMAN on 2/12/2013, 5:41pm PT
[UPDATED THRICE following the State of the Union address.]
Ryan J. Reilly had the scoop at HuffPotonight. We’re about to get another bipartisan commission on voting reforms…
President Barack Obama will announce a bipartisan presidential voting commission to focus on improving the Election Day experience, The Huffington Post has learned from two sources outside the White House with knowledge of the plans.
The commission is one of a number of efforts the Obama administration is making to address the problems that plagued voting on Election Day 2012. The commission, which will focus specifically on Election Day issues and not broader voting reform, will likely be co-chaired by one Republican and one Democratic lawyer, according to one of the sources.
After the 2000 Presidential election fiasco, a bipartisan blue-ribbon commission headed by former Presidents Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford was created by Congress. The commission offered reforms that ultimately helped lead to the disastrous Help America Vote Act of 2002. That bill, among other things, offered some $4 billion in federal money to states in order to “upgrade” to computerized voting systems. Those same systems, using proprietary hardware and software from private vendors, tally votes in secret and continue to fail in election after election even today.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Russian Air Force hit 10 ISIS targets in the last 24 hours (VIDEOS)
- Why is Putin bombing ISIS? Because the US isn’t bombing them at all! (And why is that?))
- Who’s Donald Trump? Watch the documentary that he suppressed for 25 years!
- 50 years ago, Suharto slaughtered over 500,000 Indonesians—with US help, or guidance (all still hidden)
- There may be water flowing on Mars! (But is there intelligent life on Earth?)
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Who's Donald Trump? Watch the documentary that he suppressed for 25 years!
- Why is Putin bombing ISIS? Because the US isn't bombing them at all! (And why is that?))
- The Rude Pudit
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.