Obama Calls For Another Presidential Voting Commission – But Will It Mirror the Sham Baker/Carter Election Commission After 2004?
UPDATE: Swift voting or Swift Boating?! Disgraced Bush/Cheney/Swift Boat GOP operative, Ben Ginsberg tapped to co-chair panel…
By BRAD FRIEDMAN on 2/12/2013, 5:41pm PT
[UPDATED THRICE following the State of the Union address.]
Ryan J. Reilly had the scoop at HuffPotonight. We’re about to get another bipartisan commission on voting reforms…
President Barack Obama will announce a bipartisan presidential voting commission to focus on improving the Election Day experience, The Huffington Post has learned from two sources outside the White House with knowledge of the plans.
The commission is one of a number of efforts the Obama administration is making to address the problems that plagued voting on Election Day 2012. The commission, which will focus specifically on Election Day issues and not broader voting reform, will likely be co-chaired by one Republican and one Democratic lawyer, according to one of the sources.
After the 2000 Presidential election fiasco, a bipartisan blue-ribbon commission headed by former Presidents Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford was created by Congress. The commission offered reforms that ultimately helped lead to the disastrous Help America Vote Act of 2002. That bill, among other things, offered some $4 billion in federal money to states in order to “upgrade” to computerized voting systems. Those same systems, using proprietary hardware and software from private vendors, tally votes in secret and continue to fail in election after election even today.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Conspiracy theorists” are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- GOP must “elect” more governors, so they can (continue to) control “voting mechanisms,” Chris Christie says
- ISIS, Inc. (They’re making out like bandits…)
- NYPD arrests a musician for singing, although he broke no law (VIDEO)
- Greece is losing its free press to fascist violence
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- GOP site offers plan to infiltrate left/liberal sites with trolls posing as "progressives"
- "Conspiracy theorists" are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
- Early America
- Media Channel
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.