Obama Calls For Another Presidential Voting Commission – But Will It Mirror the Sham Baker/Carter Election Commission After 2004?
UPDATE: Swift voting or Swift Boating?! Disgraced Bush/Cheney/Swift Boat GOP operative, Ben Ginsberg tapped to co-chair panel…
By BRAD FRIEDMAN on 2/12/2013, 5:41pm PT
[UPDATED THRICE following the State of the Union address.]
Ryan J. Reilly had the scoop at HuffPotonight. We’re about to get another bipartisan commission on voting reforms…
President Barack Obama will announce a bipartisan presidential voting commission to focus on improving the Election Day experience, The Huffington Post has learned from two sources outside the White House with knowledge of the plans.
The commission is one of a number of efforts the Obama administration is making to address the problems that plagued voting on Election Day 2012. The commission, which will focus specifically on Election Day issues and not broader voting reform, will likely be co-chaired by one Republican and one Democratic lawyer, according to one of the sources.
After the 2000 Presidential election fiasco, a bipartisan blue-ribbon commission headed by former Presidents Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford was created by Congress. The commission offered reforms that ultimately helped lead to the disastrous Help America Vote Act of 2002. That bill, among other things, offered some $4 billion in federal money to states in order to “upgrade” to computerized voting systems. Those same systems, using proprietary hardware and software from private vendors, tally votes in secret and continue to fail in election after election even today.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Two countries don’t guarantee paid maternity leave: Papua New Guinea—and the USA!
- Chicago PMI marks biggest drop since October, 2008
- Average US household worth 1/3 less, while assets of the 1% keep soaring…
- What is stray current doing to us? The utilities don’t want us asking…
- Veteran spooks call on Obama to release the evidence (if any) that the Russians did it
- Gary Ravetto on Don’t let them STARVE Don Siegelman!
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- On MH17, some theories that make sense (unlike the shrill crapola we keep hearing)
- FL cop forces drunk man to move his car, then shoots him dead when he bumps into other cars
- URGENT! Don and Lori Siegelman need your help!
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.