So Obama’s pick to run the Treasury Department not only helped both NYU and Citigroup to profit off of student debt (and in so doing made a nice buck for himself), but also worked to bust a graduate students’ union.
If this president were a Republican, the Democrats would be attacking Lew (maybe), and the Journal would be standing up for him.
WEDNESDAY, JAN 9, 2013 05:00 PM EST
Jack Lew’s union-busting past
In a little reported episode, our possible next treasury secretary played a critical role trouncing an NYU union
BY JOSH EIDELSON
With President Obama poised to tap current chief of staff Jack Lew as his next treasury secretary, Republicans are already attacking Lew for supposed slights during budget talks. Some progressives may bring renewed scrutiny to his time at CitiGroup. But if history is any guide, there will be little talk about another line on Lew’s résumé: The key role he played in New York University’s campaign to rid itself of a graduate student workers’ union.
Lew, the former director of the Office of Management and Budget under President Clinton, joined NYU as chief operating officer and executive vice president in 2004. At the time, NYU was the only private university in the United States whose graduate students had a union contract. By the time Lew left two years later, NYU graduate students had lost their collective bargaining rights. In between, picketers hoisted “Wanted” posters with his face on them.
Reached over email, Andrew Ross, NYU professor of social and cultural analysis, charged that “the administration followed every page of the union-busting playbook, as instructed by the anti-union lawyers retained for that purpose.” Ross, a co-editor of the anthology “The University Against Itself: The NYU Strike and the Future of the Academic Workplace,” wrote that despite broad faculty and community support for the union, “students on the picket line were threatened with expulsion. There was no indication that Lew, as a senior member of the team who executed this policy, disagreed with any of these practices. To all appearances, he was a willing, and loyal, executor of decisions that trampled all over the students’ democratic right to organize.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- t r u t h o u t
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.