This is the first time I’ve ever sent around a Wall Street Journal editorial, but when you’re right, you’re right—and the Journal is 100% right to note the very bad smell rising from the Lew/NYU/Citigroup entanglement.
Sure, this is a partisan attack. It’s the Journal. And the other major paper digging into Lew’s affair with NYU is the New York Post. Rupert Murdoch owns them both—and, in this case, it’s a damned good thing, because “the liberal media” won’t touch this scandal, as it reflects so badly on Obama and the Democrats.
Whatever’s driving it, this piece is solid. Here’s Obama’s pick to run the Treasury Department, and he can’t recall the terms of his own compensation as executive VP at NYU? Why did a “non-profit” university shower millions on a Wall Street player while jacking up tuition, cutting back financial aid, and freezing salaries, slashing benefits and raising rents for faculty and staff?
And why are Obama and the Democrats, and “the liberal media,” going for a goniff like Jack Lew—whose main accomplishment at NYU, aside from getting rich, was busting the graduate students’ union (a tidbit that the Post and Journal haven’t noted yet)?
In any case, the Journal’s take on NYU is music to the ears to those of us who teach here: “NYU is a university that gets favorable tax treatment on the premise that it is pursuing an educational mission, not a commercial or political one.”
REVIEW & OUTLOOK
Updated February 21, 2013, 7:39 p.m. ET
Forrest Gump at Treasury
Jack Lew doesn’t seem to know much about how or why he got paid.
Senate Democrats are in a hurry to confirm Jack Lew as Secretary of the Treasury before anyone notices his biography. Otherwise, liberal lawmakers might be embarrassed voting for a man who represents everything they’ve been campaigning against.
Investor in Cayman Islands tax haven? Check. Recipient of a bonus and corporate jet rides underwritten by taxpayers at a bailed-out bank? Check. Executive at a university that accepted student-loan “kickbacks” for steering kids toward a favored bank? Check. Excessive compensation with minimal disclosure? Check.
Like a financial Forrest Gump, Mr. Lew keeps walking into the frame of the business-political dramas of the last decade. But unlike the lovable movie character, Mr. Lew is playing the villain of liberal financial lore. One very compelling role, highlighted by Sen. Chuck Grassley (R., Iowa), was Mr. Lew’s star turn as an administrator at a university that encouraged students to borrow from his future employers at Citibank.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Words of Power
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Richard Charnin
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.