Jeremy Hammond Speaks Out in Memory of Aaron Swartz
Jailed Internet activist blames ‘aggressive prosecution, riddled with abuse and misconduct’ for Swartz’s death
by: Janet Reitman
Almost a year after his arrest and indictment for allegedly hacking Stratfor, the private intelligence agency, the accused Anonymous hacktivist Jeremy Hammond has condemned the government and its “aggressive prosecution, riddled with abuse and misconduct,” for the death of fellow Internet activist Aaron Swartz. In an impassioned letter released by his lawyers on February 21st, Hammond – who is facing a 30-year-to-life sentence for his role in the Stratfor hack – lashed out at the Obama Administration for a cyber-security strategy he views as “flawed” as well as “systematic corruption involving computer crime investigations, intellectual property law, and government/corporate transparency . . . Aaron’s case is part of the recent aggressive, politically-motivated expansion of computer crime law where hackers and activists are increasingly criminalized because of alleged ‘cyber-terrorist’ threats,” he noted. “This sad and angering chapter should serve as a wake-up call for all of us to acknowledge the danger inherent in our criminal justice system.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
- alias Bruce
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.