Below is an email from Carolyn McIntyre, a MoveOn member in Brooklyn, who created a petition on SignOn.org, the nonprofit site that allows anyone to start their own online petition.
Dear Manhattan MoveOn member,
We are in a period of steadily increasing use of libraries by all sectors of New York’s population. Attendance is up 40% and circulations are up 59%.1 However, Mayor Bloomberg refuses to adequately fund our public libraries unless they sell off assets—including crown jewels of the system.
Bloomberg’s plan would eliminate irreplaceable and historic parts of our libraries:
It would eliminate the research stacks underneath the main 42nd Street library.
And it would demolish Brooklyn Heights’ art deco-style building, replacing 62,000 feet of library space with only 15,000 square feet of space in a developer’s high-rise.
These are just two examples of a scheme to shrink New York’s public library system, eliminating resources that communities depend on.
New York’s libraries, the lifeblood of our democracy, have contributed to making our city economically vital and a cultural powerhouse. We must not sacrifice them to shortsighted planning and the interests of powerful developers. We must demand protection for public libraries, the city’s trusted place to learn, grow, be inspired, and connect with great minds.
That’s why I created a petition on SignOn.org to key New York City decision makers, which says:
We demand that Mayor Bloomberg stop defunding New York libraries at a time of increasing public use, population growth, and increased city wealth. Shrinking our library system to create real estate deals for the wealthy at a time of cutbacks in education and escalating disparities in opportunity is not only unjust, it is a shortsighted plan that will ultimately hurt New York City’s economy and competitiveness.
1. “As Use of Libraries Grows, Government Support Has Eroded,” The New York Times, January 8, 2013.
This petition was created on SignOn.org, the progressive, nonprofit petition site. SignOn.org is sponsored by MoveOn Civic Action, which is not responsible for the contents of this or other petitions posted on the site. Carolyn McIntyre didn’t pay us to send this email—we never rent or sell the MoveOn.org list.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Writers Voice
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.