Roger Shuler Muses on Justice Department’s Odd Priorities
By Joan Brunwasser
2/9/2013 at 22:20:12
I wish it was a joke, but it’s not. Eric Holder and company actually have indicted nine traffic-court judges in Philadelphia for a widespread scheme to fix tickets. This is such a low level of court that you don’t even have to be a lawyer to sit on that bench. And yet, the Obama DOJ is going after them. And two of the judges are charged with fixing one ticket each.
Most people who care about justice probably don’t have a problem with corrupt officials being outed, whether it’s in a high-level position or not. But when you think about the justice-related problems the Obama administration has ignored–the Don Siegelman case in Alabama, the Paul Minor case in Mississippi, to name just two–you have to wonder, “Who is minding the store?”
Going after the traffic-ticket outlaws in Philadelphia would make sense maybe, if the DOJ had taken serious action on these other more important matters. But when they ignore the big stuff and go after minutiae . . . well, as you suggest, it seems like a joke.
Former Gov. Don Siegelman’s Son Speaks Out
By Jessica Gertler
From Montgomery — Former Governor Don Siegelman’s family isn’t giving up the fight for his release from federal prison. For the first time since his father reported back to prison in September, his son Joseph Siegelman is speaking exclusively to Alabama News Network.
“I’m 24-years-old. From when the investigation started, this has been going on my entire life,” says Joseph Siegelman. “When he was released on appeal in 2008, we never thought he would go back.”
But in September, his dad, former Governor Don Siegelman, was taken back to a federal prison in Louisiana after being re-sentenced to more than six years for bribery and conspiracy.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If he gets his way, Connecticut State University will be destroyed by Gov. Dannel Malloy (a Democrat)
- Final text of TPP confirms that it will kill free speech and many people, too
- “Government of the people”? Which people? Nearly half the cash poured (so far) into “our” next presidential race comes from 158 families
- Teapot Dome 2.0! Arne Duncan hands out millions to Ohio’s charter schools—the worst in the US—then skates away
- Trump owns millions in the companies he rails against for “stranding” cash offshore
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the "case" against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Why is Putin bombing ISIS? Because the US isn't bombing them at all! (And why is that?))
- Who is killing all those "natural health" physicians in America?
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- Online Journal
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- Cody Lyon
- The International Human Press
- Media Matters
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.