Roger Shuler Muses on Justice Department’s Odd Priorities
By Joan Brunwasser
2/9/2013 at 22:20:12
I wish it was a joke, but it’s not. Eric Holder and company actually have indicted nine traffic-court judges in Philadelphia for a widespread scheme to fix tickets. This is such a low level of court that you don’t even have to be a lawyer to sit on that bench. And yet, the Obama DOJ is going after them. And two of the judges are charged with fixing one ticket each.
Most people who care about justice probably don’t have a problem with corrupt officials being outed, whether it’s in a high-level position or not. But when you think about the justice-related problems the Obama administration has ignored–the Don Siegelman case in Alabama, the Paul Minor case in Mississippi, to name just two–you have to wonder, “Who is minding the store?”
Going after the traffic-ticket outlaws in Philadelphia would make sense maybe, if the DOJ had taken serious action on these other more important matters. But when they ignore the big stuff and go after minutiae . . . well, as you suggest, it seems like a joke.
Former Gov. Don Siegelman’s Son Speaks Out
By Jessica Gertler
From Montgomery — Former Governor Don Siegelman’s family isn’t giving up the fight for his release from federal prison. For the first time since his father reported back to prison in September, his son Joseph Siegelman is speaking exclusively to Alabama News Network.
“I’m 24-years-old. From when the investigation started, this has been going on my entire life,” says Joseph Siegelman. “When he was released on appeal in 2008, we never thought he would go back.”
But in September, his dad, former Governor Don Siegelman, was taken back to a federal prison in Louisiana after being re-sentenced to more than six years for bribery and conspiracy.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Profs at Arizona State help US military target groups engaging in “symbolic and discursive violence”
- General in charge of covert missions will now head University of Texas system
- FBI raiding charter schools all over the US
- “Don’t want to get shot? Then keep your mouth shut,” says veteran cop
- MCM talks about Forbidden Bookshelf (dynamite interview with Peter B. Collins)
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Pressure at work on “Liberal election fraud running rampant” in Arizona, say Tea-Baggers!
- Russians offer evidence of Kiev's trigger hand in MH17 downing
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Shooting unarmed black men is a normal thing for US cops, who often get away with it
- Fukushima is still poisoning the world
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.