Roger Shuler Muses on Justice Department’s Odd Priorities
By Joan Brunwasser
2/9/2013 at 22:20:12
I wish it was a joke, but it’s not. Eric Holder and company actually have indicted nine traffic-court judges in Philadelphia for a widespread scheme to fix tickets. This is such a low level of court that you don’t even have to be a lawyer to sit on that bench. And yet, the Obama DOJ is going after them. And two of the judges are charged with fixing one ticket each.
Most people who care about justice probably don’t have a problem with corrupt officials being outed, whether it’s in a high-level position or not. But when you think about the justice-related problems the Obama administration has ignored–the Don Siegelman case in Alabama, the Paul Minor case in Mississippi, to name just two–you have to wonder, “Who is minding the store?”
Going after the traffic-ticket outlaws in Philadelphia would make sense maybe, if the DOJ had taken serious action on these other more important matters. But when they ignore the big stuff and go after minutiae . . . well, as you suggest, it seems like a joke.
Former Gov. Don Siegelman’s Son Speaks Out
By Jessica Gertler
From Montgomery — Former Governor Don Siegelman’s family isn’t giving up the fight for his release from federal prison. For the first time since his father reported back to prison in September, his son Joseph Siegelman is speaking exclusively to Alabama News Network.
“I’m 24-years-old. From when the investigation started, this has been going on my entire life,” says Joseph Siegelman. “When he was released on appeal in 2008, we never thought he would go back.”
But in September, his dad, former Governor Don Siegelman, was taken back to a federal prison in Louisiana after being re-sentenced to more than six years for bribery and conspiracy.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- With our voting system run by rightist gremlins, Hillary—or ANY Democrat who runs for president—is going to “lose”
- College students in the USA should look to Chile
- Run (into the ground) by Wall Street, NYU is Number #1 in student prostitution
- A captive FCC has put our health and privacy at risk
- Doctor who linked autism to vaccines apparently both shot and drowned himself
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- US forced Iraqis to buy seeds from Monsanto—and now we're ALL under the gun! (2)
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- alias Bruce
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Writers Voice
- t r u t h o u t
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.