Katie Ryder: The Truth About Religious Freedom and the ACA
February 8, 2013
Your right to swing your fist in religious practice ends when your fist reaches my nose, or uterus.
By Katie Ryder
The phrase “religious freedom” pulsed through the 2012 election cycle like a car alarm that everyone decided was just going to go off all day, and it hasn’t faded out since. The term is used almost exclusively in reference to policy or legislation related to contraception; abortion; more rarely, gay rights; and, infrequently (amazingly) bullying. Right now, conservatives speak of religious freedom primarily to assert that the Affordable Care Act—which requires employers to provide insurance coverage for contraception—infringes on constitutionally guaranteed religious liberties.
Since the passing of the bill, right-wing publications like The Weekly Standard, National Review, and The Washington Times have all claimed the act mandates that citizens ignore their individual religious compass and involve themselves in the availability of contraceptives. This is not untrue. In fact, it is true. And exactly as it should be in a democracy predicated upon citizens’ equality before the law: rights to personal safety, health, and liberty must supersede the religious beliefs of individuals. Classically, this is bread-and-butter territory for the public left. Currently, they’re unwilling to say it.
What the left has been too timid to say is this: it is obvious that we do (and must) make laws that conflict with religious views, endlessly variant as they are.
One Comment to “Does “religious freedom” mean the right to beat your kids and rape your wife, and force her to give birth?”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tens of thousands turning out for Bernie Sanders
- How Donald Trump will raise the profile of the White House
- How the players at the (so-called) Robin Hood Foundation want to make us even poorer
- British Special Forces “dressed up as ISIS rebels” fight Assad in Syria
- Citigroup facing federal probe over student loans
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the "case" against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- William Betz
- Online Journal
- The International Human Press
- Writers Voice
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Talking Points Memo
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.