Katie Ryder: The Truth About Religious Freedom and the ACA
February 8, 2013
Your right to swing your fist in religious practice ends when your fist reaches my nose, or uterus.
By Katie Ryder
The phrase “religious freedom” pulsed through the 2012 election cycle like a car alarm that everyone decided was just going to go off all day, and it hasn’t faded out since. The term is used almost exclusively in reference to policy or legislation related to contraception; abortion; more rarely, gay rights; and, infrequently (amazingly) bullying. Right now, conservatives speak of religious freedom primarily to assert that the Affordable Care Act—which requires employers to provide insurance coverage for contraception—infringes on constitutionally guaranteed religious liberties.
Since the passing of the bill, right-wing publications like The Weekly Standard, National Review, and The Washington Times have all claimed the act mandates that citizens ignore their individual religious compass and involve themselves in the availability of contraceptives. This is not untrue. In fact, it is true. And exactly as it should be in a democracy predicated upon citizens’ equality before the law: rights to personal safety, health, and liberty must supersede the religious beliefs of individuals. Classically, this is bread-and-butter territory for the public left. Currently, they’re unwilling to say it.
What the left has been too timid to say is this: it is obvious that we do (and must) make laws that conflict with religious views, endlessly variant as they are.
One Comment to “Does “religious freedom” mean the right to beat your kids and rape your wife, and force her to give birth?”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its “profile” of Vandana Shiva
- Kiev’s forces failing in the East
- We’re paying dearly for Barack Obama’s faux-progressive dance
- Vexed by dissidents in parliament, Ukraine’s president dissolves it
- “Bad teachers” are the cause of US inequality, according to Bill Gates. (Did he learn that in school?)
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Pressure at work on “Liberal election fraud running rampant” in Arizona, say Tea-Baggers!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- "Bad teachers" are the cause of US inequality, according to Bill Gates. (Did he learn that in school?)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its "profile" of Vandana Shiva
- Help tell the world about what happened to Don Siegelman!
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
- The Ostroy Report
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.