Obama’s pick for treasury secretary grilled on NYU loan
By GEOFF EARLE in Washington and JAMES COVERT in NY
Last Updated: 3:26 AM, February 19, 2013
Posted: 2:24 AM, February 19, 2013
Jack Lew, President Obama’s pick to run the Treasury Department, is being pressed by Senate probers to reveal details of a $1.4 million personal loan he got from New York University when he was a top exec at the school, The Post has learned.
NYU listed the loan on its tax filings, which showed the outstanding balance dropping to $673,000 by 2005, his final year at the university.
As The Post revealed last week, Lew has come under fire in the Senate for leading NYU at a time when it was accused of steering student loans to “preferred lenders,” including Citigroup, in exchange for “kickbacks.”
NYU settled with the state attorney general in 2007 and paid a fine without admitting wrongdoing.
Lew left NYU to become an exec at Citigroup — a tenure that has also drawn criticism because he got nearly $1 million in compensation in 2008 around the time the bank got a taxpayer bailout.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- History Unfolding
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- Online Journal
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Cody Lyon
- The International Human Press
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.