Mother Jones — Today’s Seafood Special: Pig Manure, Antibiotics, and Diarrhea Bugs
Imported seafood is full of dirt and chemicals. So why is the FDA inspecting practically none of it?
By Tom Philpott | Wed Jan. 23, 2013 3:01 AM PST
Next time you tuck into a Red Lobster “Endless Shrimp” special or score some $7-per-pound salmon at a supermarket, consider this: You’re very likely eating imported seafood raised on a factory-style farm in Asia—and it almost certainly was never inspected by the Food and Drug Administration on its way into the country and onto your plate.
Is that…safe? Big retailers like Walmart  and restaurant chains like Darden  (owner of Red Lobster) say yes, in part because some of the seafood they buy bears the Best Aquaculture Practices label. Who issues that label? The Global Aquaculture Alliance , an industry endeavor—its board consists of representatives  from (you guessed it) Darden, as well as Cargill, the Chilean salmon industry, and a large farmed-shrimp importer called Eastern Fish Company . Not surprisingly, BAP standards for farmed fish placed near the bottom (16 of 20) in a 2012 ranking of aquaculture labels  by the University of Victoria’s Seafood Ecology Research Group. (Darden says it independently tests its shrimp for contaminants but declined to share its results; Walmart did not answer our questions about inspections.)
But the responsibility for ensuring the safety of our food doesn’t fall to retailers and restaurants alone. The oversight authority belongs to the FDA, and the task is massive. In 2011, Americans consumed 4.7 billion pounds of seafood , 91 percent of which was imported. And yet the FDA only inspects a tiny amount of this giant haul: 2 percent at most . (The equivalent agency in Canada inspects 15 percent of imported seafood; in the European Union the figure is 50 percent.)
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.