Tell NYU, Columbia and Cornell: Divest from fossil fuels
After Superstorm Sandy, the cost of our continued inaction to fight climate change has never been clearer. But one of the biggest barriers to progress is the fact that major financial institutions continue to invest in the fossil fuel companies that are profiteering from the destruction of our climate — and our communities.
To weaken the power of these coal, oil and gas companies, we need to make it clear that it is immoral to profit from the destruction of humanity, and it is immoral for anyone to invest in this destruction.
So we’re joining with our friends at 350.org to build public pressure on major universities — whose endowments total tens of billions of dollars, and who represent the young people who will feel the worst impacts of climate change — to stop investing in fossil fuel companies.
New York University, Columbia and Cornell have some of the largest endowments in New York, totaling more than $15.5 billion combined. As New York recovers from the destruction of Hurricane Sandy, these schools can set an important example for colleges and universities across the country by divesting from fossil fuels.
Our system of colleges and universities is predicated upon the notion that education leads to a better future and expanded opportunities. But it is irresponsible and disingenuous for universities to say they care about their students’ future when they are actively putting money into the fossil fuels that are the single greatest threat to their students’ future.
Right now, on more than 200 college campuses around the country, students are mobilizing and building pressure on their schools to stop investing their endowments in the fossil fuel companies that are wreaking havoc on our planet.1 And while these efforts are student led, they need the help of community members like you to give their movement the strength in numbers it needs to succeed.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.