|Supreme Court Should Uphold Decision Striking Down Arizona Voting Law
Brennan Center and Constitutional Accountability Center File Amicus Brief in Key Supreme Court Case
For Immediate Release: January 23, 2013
Washington, D.C. – The Supreme Court should strike down an Arizona law requiring additional documents to register to vote, argue the Brennan Center and the Constitutional Accountability Center in an amicus brief.
The brief, submitted yesterday in State of Arizona v. Inter Tribal Council of Arizona, urges the Court to affirm the Ninth Circuit’s decision to overturn the Arizona law, since the Elections Clause in the Constitution gives Congress the power to override state law to protect the right to vote.
“Arizona’s law would block eligible Americans from voting and deny them the opportunity to participate equally in our democracy,” said Myrna Pérez, senior counsel for the Brennan Center’s Democracy Program. “Congress passed national voter registration standards to keep our elections free, fair, and accessible to all. The lower court recognized that goal and rightfully struck down this law. By upholding that decision, the Supreme Court will ensure every eligible citizen can make their voice heard at the ballot box.”
The case tests the legality of an Arizona law mandating additional documents when registering to vote. At least 7 percent of voting-age Americans do not have such documentation readily available, according to Brennan Center research.
“The Constitution’s text and history could not be more clear,” said David Gans, Civil Rights Director of Constitutional Accountability Center. “The Elections Clause gives Congress the power to ‘make or alter’ state law in order to protect the right to vote in federal elections. When Congress acts under the Elections Clause, the very point is to displace state laws, such as the effort of Arizona to impose additional obstacles to registering to vote,” Gans said.
# # #
Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law | 161 Avenue of the Americas, 12th Floor | New York, NY 10013 | 646.292.8310 phone | 212.463.7308 fax | firstname.lastname@example.org
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The International Human Press
- Writers Voice
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.