And 100 votes for Jefferson Davis: Oscar exposes the dangers of e-voting
JANUARY 3, 2013
BY STEVE SCHNEIDER
If Lincoln ends up winning this year’s Best Picture Oscar, how early in the night will Karl Rove admit it?
Maybe not all that quickly, now that electronic voting seems to be turning the Academy’s process into the same nightmare of illegitimacy that is our American elections system.
Honest Abe ponders the consequences of winning ugly.
The deadline for submitting Oscar nominations has been extended to Jan. 4, in large part due to the widespread problems AMPAS members have reported in trying to cast their ballots online. The Hollywood Reporter’s Scott Feinberg, who has been tracking the controversy, quotes sources as calling the Academy’s first-ever experiment in online voting a “disaster.” Passwords are being rejected, voters are being locked out of the system, and deadlines are in danger of being missed. Disgruntled members are worried about the integrity of the system, while others are concerned that the entire off-putting experience will lead to record-low participation. Meanwhile, the e-voting company that developed the software — the ironically namedEveryone Counts — has no comment.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Ostroy Report
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.