And 100 votes for Jefferson Davis: Oscar exposes the dangers of e-voting
JANUARY 3, 2013
BY STEVE SCHNEIDER
If Lincoln ends up winning this year’s Best Picture Oscar, how early in the night will Karl Rove admit it?
Maybe not all that quickly, now that electronic voting seems to be turning the Academy’s process into the same nightmare of illegitimacy that is our American elections system.
Honest Abe ponders the consequences of winning ugly.
The deadline for submitting Oscar nominations has been extended to Jan. 4, in large part due to the widespread problems AMPAS members have reported in trying to cast their ballots online. The Hollywood Reporter’s Scott Feinberg, who has been tracking the controversy, quotes sources as calling the Academy’s first-ever experiment in online voting a “disaster.” Passwords are being rejected, voters are being locked out of the system, and deadlines are in danger of being missed. Disgruntled members are worried about the integrity of the system, while others are concerned that the entire off-putting experience will lead to record-low participation. Meanwhile, the e-voting company that developed the software — the ironically namedEveryone Counts — has no comment.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The International Human Press
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.