Ruth Porat, Rumored Treasury No. 2, Lobbied Regulators For Morgan Stanley, A Lot
Posted: 01/15/2013 3:25 pm EST | Updated: 01/15/2013 5:10 pm EST
President Obama’s pick to run the Treasury Department isn’t much of a financial reformer. And it looks like his potential pick for Treasury’s No. 2 spot might not be, either: She actively lobbied for Wall Street.
Obama is reportedly considering tapping Morgan Stanley chief financial officer Ruth Porat to be the “number two” at Treasury under his pick for Treasury Secretary, Jack Lew. Picking Porat would address two problems for Obama: the notable lack of women named so far to his second-term cabinet, and Lew’s professed lack of financial expertise.
But it might create yet another headache: Though Porat is accomplished and apparently knows financial markets, she has also frequently lobbied regulators over the rules in the Dodd-Frank financial-reform law, according to an incomplete tally by the Sunlight Foundation.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Richard Charnin
- The Ostroy Report
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.