Hacking defendant’s suicide spurs debate over prosecutorial overreach
By Mike Scarcella Contact All Articles
The National Law Journal
January 14, 2013
When the leader of a computer crime ring was sentenced in Boston to 20 years in prison for his role in one of the country’s largest-ever hacking cases in 2010, U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz vowed publicly to “use all available resources” to investigate and prosecute cyber criminals no matter where in the world the crime is committed.
Just months later, federal prosecutors under Ortiz’s leadership didn’t have to look far to build the controversial hacking case against entrepreneur and political activist Aaron Swartz, who was charged in 2011 in Boston federal district court with the unauthorized use of a university’s networks to download millions of articles from the online archive of scholarly literature at the nonprofit JSTOR.
“Stealing is stealing whether you use a computer command or a crowbar, and whether you take documents, data or dollars,” Ortiz, the U.S. attorney for the District of Massachusetts since 2009, declared when she announced the charges against Swartz, a prominent figure in the advocacy for a free, open Internet. “It is equally harmful to the victim whether you sell what you have stolen or give it away.”
Read more. (free sign-in required)
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- Cody Lyon
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.