Mainstream Media Taking Aim at the Elderly
Sunday, 20 January 2013 14:15 By Staff, Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting | Report
The outcome of the “fiscal cliff” did not impress many in the corporate media, who have long favored some sort of Simpson-Bowles “grand bargain” that would pair tax increases with spending cuts to so-called “entitlement programs.” The last-minute tax deal fell well short on both counts–but the failure to cut benefits seemed to bother more pundits than anything else.
On Meet the Press (12/30/12), NBC’s Tom Brokaw complained that Obama “could help himself a lot if he were tougher on the AARP”–by which he meant tougher on seniors, raising the retirement age for Social Security (which is really a cut in benefits–Extra!, 12/12) and “means-testing” Medicare. (When the discussion was taxes, Brokaw insisted that “$250,000 doesn’t make you rich,” but proposals to means-test Medicare assume that elderly retirees with incomes as low as $85,000 aren’t paying enough for healthcare–FireDogLake, 12/14/12.)
Brokaw went on:
I think it would have been helpful to him this morning to have said, “Look, we get this tax deal done, I’m here to help on Medicare and Social Security reforms.” We’ve got to address those, instead of just saying, “I’m going to protect the seniors who are there and the Medicare and Medicaid recipients.” Give a little something. Show good faith about what needs to be done on deficit reduction and the entitlement programs.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Online Journal
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- The International Human Press
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.