Why eating steak in restaurants can kill you—and how Big Beef is trying to kill the story

Big trouble for Big Beef: Some tenderized meat can sicken, kill
By Mike McGraw The Kansas City Star

Ever since a restaurant steak gave her an infection that cost her part of her intestines, Margaret Lamkin of Iowa has had to use colostomy bags that attach to an opening in her abdomen. Now age 90, she keeps a supply of the bags handy. “I never dreamed of anything happening like this,” she says. (Keith Myers/Kansas City Star/MCT)

SIOUX CITY, Iowa — Margaret Lamkin doesn’t visit her grandchildren much anymore. She never flies. She avoids wearing dresses. And she worries about infections and odors.

Three years ago, at age 87, Lamkin was forced to wear a colostomy bag for the rest of her life after a virulent meat-borne pathogen destroyed her large colon and nearly killed her.

What made her so sick? A medium-rare steak she ate nine days earlier at an Applebee’s restaurant.

Read more.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.