Clinton’s Environmental Failure
By Bill McKibben (about the author)
AKOpEdNews Op Eds 12/9/2012
It seems just a tad early to be thinking about the 2016 election — unless, apparently, you’re Hillary Clinton. According to Maureen Dowd in The New York Times, she sent handwritten notes to losing congressional candidates and invited big Irish-American donors on a trip to Dublin this week. “She has enormous strength in the Irish-American community because of the Clintons’ massive role in bringing peace to Northern Ireland,” explained the publisher of an Irish-American newspaper.
Which, to tell you the truth, wouldn’t worry me very much if I was one of Clinton’s possible contenders. True, she’s sewing up the all-important Danny Boy vote — but it’s possible she’s about to dump hot water on another sector of the electorate.
That would be the ones who worry about climate change. Young people, they’re called. Also people who have their houses flooded or their farms baked. They’re more of them all the time, somehow — in fact, pollsters find 68 percent of Americans “very worried” about global warming, up from 46 percent in 2009. That’s what happens when the warmest year in American history ends with the widest storm (Sandy) ever measured.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Cody Lyon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.