Minnesota’s moose takes first step on path to ‘endangered’
Article by: JOSEPHINE MARCOTTY , Star Tribune
Updated: December 11, 2012 – 11:43 PM
One of Minnesota’s iconic animals has seen its population drop by almost half since 2005 as researchers try to identify causes.
Minnesota’s moose took the first step toward endangered species status this week when the state proposed adding it to a new list of 591 plants, animals and insects that wildlife officials say need special attention to ensure their survival.
The state’s moose population has dropped by almost half since 2005 — to about 4,000 this year — as a result of what researchers say may be disease, parasites, a warming climate or some combination of all three. Its new designation as “a species of special concern” would put an official stamp on the work already underway to save one of Minnesota’s most iconic animals.
A spot on the endangered species list would make it illegal to hunt or kill a moose, but the animal’s numbers are still too great to warrant that — even though at the current rate of decline moose could be gone from Minnesota in 20 years. And until biologists figure out why adult moose are dying twice as fast as they should be, there is little state officials can do to protect it, experts say, including putting a moratorium on hunting.
“They are already concerned about the moose and doing a lot,” said Ron Moen, a biologist and moose expert at the University of Minnesota, Duluth.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Richard Charnin
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Cody Lyon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.