QATAR SENTENCES POET TO LIFE IN PRISON FOR COMMITTING POETRY
By William Boardman
Life in prison may seem a harsh sentence for reciting a poem out loud, but it’s apparently what state security demands in Doha, Qatar, where a secret court delivered this sentence at the end of a short, secret trial in a state security case tried there in November.
Muhammed ibn al-Dheeb al-Ajami, 37, a Qatari poet with a wife and child, was studying literature at Cairo University when the Tunisian revolution broke out in December 2010. Inspired by events in Tunisia and Egypt, al-Ajami wrote a short poem, “Tunisian Jasmine” [see below], celebrating the overthrow of repressive elites. He recited the poem to private audiences and the audio of at least one such performance appeared on YouTube, but al-Ajami says he didn’t post it, and doesn’t know who did.
Qatari authorities took notice of the performance and, some months later, in November 2011, they arrested al-Ajami and held him in solitary confinement for most of a year before bringing him to trial. There is no allegation that he was otherwise tortured. The state charged the poet with “insulting” Qatar’s ruling emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, as well as “inciting to overthrow the ruling system,” an offense that carries the death penalty.
CONSPIRACY THEORY IN AMERICA
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Vets return to Vietnam, to help clean up the mess they left behind
- Visa quits ALEC
- The stars come out against the Sexton Plan!
- Donors fleeing ALEC over Trayvon Martin’s shooting
- Now you see it, soon you won’t: Welcome to the memory hole
- wombat on What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014 :: News … | Save The Pacific Ocean on Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014
- Gus Wynn on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Robin Roland on Score one (at last) for the Election Integrity movement!
- Julie on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- CIA's contra/cocaine scheme was a REAL conspiracy, not a "theory"
- Here are many MORE things NOT to buy from Koch...
- Iceland got over the recession fast—by jailing the banksters, and bailing out the people
- Now you see it, soon you won't: Welcome to the memory hole
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- History Unfolding
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- William Betz
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.