NDAA Nullification Bill Passes Michigan House, 107-0
Posted by Matthew Renquist
LANSING, Mich. (Dec. 5, 2012) – The Michigan House of Representatives unanimously voted in favor of House bill 5768 (HB5768) today. Representative Tom McMillin, who introduced the bill, showed his excitement for it’s passage, and his expectations for the State Senate.
“My bill opposing NDAA’s indefinite detention and taking away due process and prohibiting MI government from participating passed the House today. Onto the State Senate!”
Due to support from a wide coalition of grassroots activists across the political spectrum, the bill passed unanimously. The final vote was 107-0. HB5768 asserts that no State employee or agency will assist the Federal government – in any way – in the detainment of people under the 2012 NDAA. The Obama administration has aggressively argued in court that the executive branch has this power. The bill states, in part,
“no agency of this state, no political subdivision of this state, no employee of an agency of this state or a political subdivision of this state acting in his or her official capacity, and no member of the Michigan national guard on official state duty shall aid an agency of the armed forces of the United States in any investigation, prosecution, or detention of any person pursuant to section 1021 of the national defense authorization act…”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gitmo on Lake Michigan: Chicago PD’s “black site” is a glaring crime against the Bill of Rights
- New York’s highest court agrees to hear the case against NYU’s lunatic expansion plan
- USA is going all Tonkin Gulf on Russia
- “Christian” school in Texas honors Torturer-in-Chief
- New findings show that charter schools do NOT “perform” as advertised
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Gitmo on Lake Michigan: Chicago PD's "black site" is a glaring crime against the Bill of Rights
- British court finds NO FRAUD in the research linking autism to MMR vaccine
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- Talking Points Memo
- Democratic Undergroud
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.