NDAA Nullification Bill Passes Michigan House, 107-0
Posted by Matthew Renquist
LANSING, Mich. (Dec. 5, 2012) – The Michigan House of Representatives unanimously voted in favor of House bill 5768 (HB5768) today. Representative Tom McMillin, who introduced the bill, showed his excitement for it’s passage, and his expectations for the State Senate.
“My bill opposing NDAA’s indefinite detention and taking away due process and prohibiting MI government from participating passed the House today. Onto the State Senate!”
Due to support from a wide coalition of grassroots activists across the political spectrum, the bill passed unanimously. The final vote was 107-0. HB5768 asserts that no State employee or agency will assist the Federal government – in any way – in the detainment of people under the 2012 NDAA. The Obama administration has aggressively argued in court that the executive branch has this power. The bill states, in part,
“no agency of this state, no political subdivision of this state, no employee of an agency of this state or a political subdivision of this state acting in his or her official capacity, and no member of the Michigan national guard on official state duty shall aid an agency of the armed forces of the United States in any investigation, prosecution, or detention of any person pursuant to section 1021 of the national defense authorization act…”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 77 million Americans face debt collectors
- A look back at how the US destroyed Libya
- Howling over Putin’s crimes (?), US backs the killers in Ukraine and Gaza
- Why do university administrators get paid so much (and for doing WHAT, exactly)?
- How natural gas—Obama’s panacea—-makes global warming WORSE
- Gary Ravetto on Don’t let them STARVE Don Siegelman!
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Lest we forget: US shot down a civilian airliner, killing 290 people; then lied about it (and never apologized)
- FL cop forces drunk man to move his car, then shoots him dead when he bumps into other cars
- URGENT! Don and Lori Siegelman need your help!
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Words of Power
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.