NDAA Nullification Bill Passes Michigan House, 107-0
Posted by Matthew Renquist
LANSING, Mich. (Dec. 5, 2012) – The Michigan House of Representatives unanimously voted in favor of House bill 5768 (HB5768) today. Representative Tom McMillin, who introduced the bill, showed his excitement for it’s passage, and his expectations for the State Senate.
“My bill opposing NDAA’s indefinite detention and taking away due process and prohibiting MI government from participating passed the House today. Onto the State Senate!”
Due to support from a wide coalition of grassroots activists across the political spectrum, the bill passed unanimously. The final vote was 107-0. HB5768 asserts that no State employee or agency will assist the Federal government – in any way – in the detainment of people under the 2012 NDAA. The Obama administration has aggressively argued in court that the executive branch has this power. The bill states, in part,
“no agency of this state, no political subdivision of this state, no employee of an agency of this state or a political subdivision of this state acting in his or her official capacity, and no member of the Michigan national guard on official state duty shall aid an agency of the armed forces of the United States in any investigation, prosecution, or detention of any person pursuant to section 1021 of the national defense authorization act…”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NYU reneges on its loud promises to pay the migrant workers who built its Abu Dhabi campus
- Why did Bernie pull his punches?
- OOPS! Victim testimonies in UK child sex abuse inquiry ALL DELETED (quite by accident, of course)
- “Untold number of civilians” slaughtered by Obama’s (airborne) Murder, Inc.
- To censor a live feed of the debate, CNN shuts down @Bernie2016tv
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- US forced Iraqis to buy seeds from Monsanto—and now we're ALL under the gun! (2)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- The Ostroy Report
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.