How the GOP Promoted Gun Madness
December 16, 2012
Exclusive: When looking at the faces of the six-year-olds butchered in their Connecticut classroom, you should also see the faces of the politicians who pandered to the NRA and its obsessive opposition to commonsense gun control, the likes of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, writes Robert Parry.
By Robert Parry
New York Times columnist Nicholas D. Kristof offers a typical column reacting to the massacre of 20 school children in Newtown, Connecticut. He calls on politicians to show courage in standing up to the National Rifle Association, but he doesn’t seem to have the courage himself to identify the key political culprits in a three-decade-long pandering to the NRA’s clout.
There’s a reason for that. The vast majority of the politicians who have served as handmaidens to the NRA’s war on commonsense gun control are Republicans, including such icons as Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. And it is routine for mainstream pundits, like Kristof, to avoid “sounding partisan.”
Emilie Parker, one of the victims of Friday’s murder rampage in Newtown, Connecticut.
So, it makes lots of career sense to wring one’s hands over the horrifying image of a deranged gunman slaughtering first-graders in their classroom and then spread the blame across the political spectrum – while not pointing fingers at the politicians who have most enabled this sickening madness to continue.
One Comment to “How Reagan/Bush helped turn the USA into a land of random massacres”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You know that FBI “smoking gun” video of the Tsarnaev brothers planting that bomb? You don’t, because there isn’t one….
- Nobel Peace Prize chairman (finally) gets what he deserves for giving one to Pres. Obama
- Coke pulls German-language ad that seems nostalgic for “the Good Old Times” when Hitler ruled
- Someone needs to put saltpeter in Joe Biden’s coffee
- After “one viewer” complains, RT faces UK inquiry over “anti-Western” comments in TV debate about Ukraine
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- You know that FBI "smoking gun" video of the Tsarnaev brothers planting that bomb? You don't, because there isn't one....
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Writers Voice
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.