Germany Has Built Clean Energy Economy U.S. Rejected in 80s
By Osha Gray Davidson – Nov 14, 2012
InsideClimateNews (Berlin) — The view from the Reichstag roof on a sun-drenched spring afternoon is spectacular. Looking out over Berlin from the seat of the German government, you can see the full sweep of the nation’s history: from Humboldt University, where Albert Einstein taught physics for two decades, to the site of the former Gestapo headquarters.
I’m not here to see this country’s freighted past, however. I’ve come to learn about what a majority of Germans believe is their future—and perhaps our own. There is no better place to begin this adventure than the Reichstag, rebuilt from near ruins in 1999 and now both a symbol and an example of the revolutionary movement known as the Energiewende. The word translates simply as, “energy change.” But there’s nothing simple about the Energiewende. It calls for an end to the use of fossil fuels and nuclear power and embraces clean, renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and biomass. The government has set a target of 80 percent renewable power by 2050, but many Germans I spoke with in three weeks traveling across this country believe 100 percent renewable power is achievable by then.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Top US “journalists” helped Obama hone his (propaganda) speech on ISIS
- The latest evidence that Scotland VOTED NO
- A more extensive video on the (rigged?) Scottish vote
- Was Scotland’s referendum rigged—and was it caught on tape?
- Why Earth demands this march in New York City: A reply to Arun Gupta
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Clear Channel ends "Green 960" in San Francisco; KKGN's new line-up will include Glenn Beck
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.