Germany Has Built Clean Energy Economy U.S. Rejected in 80s
By Osha Gray Davidson – Nov 14, 2012
InsideClimateNews (Berlin) — The view from the Reichstag roof on a sun-drenched spring afternoon is spectacular. Looking out over Berlin from the seat of the German government, you can see the full sweep of the nation’s history: from Humboldt University, where Albert Einstein taught physics for two decades, to the site of the former Gestapo headquarters.
I’m not here to see this country’s freighted past, however. I’ve come to learn about what a majority of Germans believe is their future—and perhaps our own. There is no better place to begin this adventure than the Reichstag, rebuilt from near ruins in 1999 and now both a symbol and an example of the revolutionary movement known as the Energiewende. The word translates simply as, “energy change.” But there’s nothing simple about the Energiewende. It calls for an end to the use of fossil fuels and nuclear power and embraces clean, renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and biomass. The government has set a target of 80 percent renewable power by 2050, but many Germans I spoke with in three weeks traveling across this country believe 100 percent renewable power is achievable by then.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kati Marton on “The Polk Conspiracy”—a gem on the Forbidden Bookshelf (MUST-READ)
- MI5’s fat file on Eric Hobsbawm included stuff the Nazis had collected on him
- Under TPP, the power of international investors will be ABSOLUTE—and ObamaCo has lied and lied about it
- Did NYU hire a private eye to dig for dirt on one of its professors, and a NYTimes reporter? (Looks like it….)
- Top US scientists—those working at Los Alamos—say NO to vaccines for their kids
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats won't say a word about high-flying pedophile (and FOB) Jeffrey Epstein---and neither will Republicans! (How come?)
- Whose planes are making ammunition drops for ISIS?
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Words of Power
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- History Unfolding
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.