Germany Has Built Clean Energy Economy U.S. Rejected in 80s
By Osha Gray Davidson – Nov 14, 2012
InsideClimateNews (Berlin) — The view from the Reichstag roof on a sun-drenched spring afternoon is spectacular. Looking out over Berlin from the seat of the German government, you can see the full sweep of the nation’s history: from Humboldt University, where Albert Einstein taught physics for two decades, to the site of the former Gestapo headquarters.
I’m not here to see this country’s freighted past, however. I’ve come to learn about what a majority of Germans believe is their future—and perhaps our own. There is no better place to begin this adventure than the Reichstag, rebuilt from near ruins in 1999 and now both a symbol and an example of the revolutionary movement known as the Energiewende. The word translates simply as, “energy change.” But there’s nothing simple about the Energiewende. It calls for an end to the use of fossil fuels and nuclear power and embraces clean, renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and biomass. The government has set a target of 80 percent renewable power by 2050, but many Germans I spoke with in three weeks traveling across this country believe 100 percent renewable power is achievable by then.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Joe Biden spreads the “fracking gospel” in Ukraine!
- Obama (finally!) sacks his pardons attorney
- BBC takes a close look at those NYTimes photographs of “Russian troops”
- Four years later, BP’s Gulf is still a hell on earth
- In Washington, you can get away with murder (and that’s not all), but NOT with blowing the whistle on it
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Brian on In California, GMO food labeling law will be on ballots on Election Day!
- NATO moving in on Russia (2 items)
- EU spy chief sees NO Russian troops in East Ukraine
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- NYU Law School trustee subpoenas NYU law students' emails
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers "2 + 2 = 5!" (3 items)
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.