Stop Obama’s Ongoing Grand Charade to Cut Social Insurances
Friday, 28 December 2012 12:00 By Margaret Flowers, Its Our Economy | Op-Ed
Here we go again. President Obama is in round three of his ongoing efforts to cut our important social insurances, such as Social Security and Medicare. Whether he succeeds or not is up to us. We can create a stronger economy and healthier population by strengthening and expanding our social insurances and switching to a green energy economy.
Round 1: In April, 2010, shortly after President Obama signed into law a health bill that further privatizes our health care system and while all attention was on this ‘historic achievement’, Obama created the National Commission for Fiscal Responsibility and Reform. He appointed Alan Simpson and Erskine Bowles as chairs of what was commonly known as the Deficit Commission and loaded the panel with 14 deficit hawks out of the total of 18 appointees. The commission was given the power to create a deficit plan that would go to Congress for an up or down vote.
If there was still any question about the intent of the commission, those should have been answered by the fact that the Peter G. Peterson Foundation was working closely with them, providing support staff and hosting the America Speaks gatherings in the summer of 2010. Billionaire Pete Peterson has spent decades arguing for cuts to social insurances.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- When it comes to election fraud, InfoWars is just as blind as all our other media
- While Obama preaches “human rights” to Russia, Don Siegelman sits shackled in an Alabama courtroom, spends Christmas in solitary confinement
- Racist NY cops colluding with Republicans to undermine de Blasio
- Wisconsin court examining Scott Walker’s case is mostly just as dirty as Scott Walker
- A New York City cop speaks out on those who turned their backs on Mayor de Blasio
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Big Pharma's faking a "grass-roots" campaign to keep Jenny McCarthy off "The View"
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.