Mystery in IraqAre US Munitions to Blame for Basra Birth Defects?
By Alexander Smoltczyk
The guns have been silent in Iraq for years, but in Basra and Fallujah the number of birth defects and cancer cases is on the rise. Locals believe that American uranium-tipped munitions are to blame and some researchers think they might be right.
It sounds at first as if the old man were drunk. Or perhaps as though he had been reading Greek myths. But Askar Bin Said doesn’t read anything, especially not books, and there is no alcohol in Basra. In fact, he says, he saw the creatures he describes with his own eyes: “Some had only one eye in the forehead. Or two heads. One had a tail like a skinned lamb. Another one looked like a perfectly normal child, but with a monkey’s face. Or the girl whose legs had grown together, half fish, half human.”
The babies Askar Bin Said describes were brought to him. He washed them and wrapped them in shrouds, and then he buried them in the dry soil, littered with bits of plastic and can lids, of his own cemetery, which has been in his family for five generations. It’s a cemetery only for children.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- USA is a “world leader” in child poverty
- YouTube link for that video of the Texan freedom fighter
- Why NYU law students have no confidence in Harold Koh (It isn’t just the drones…)
- FBI charged with “whitewash” of Saudi link to 9/11
- “The Abuse of Satire”: Garry Trudeau nails the Charlie Hebdo craze
- FBI charged with “whitewash” of Saudi link to 9/11 on
- TEPCO slammed for year-long cover-up of latest radioactive leak on
- If Jeb Bush steals the White House, he’ll cut Medicaid, raise the retirement age, means test Social Security, and…. on
- Don Siegelman won’t be released from prison (WHY won’t Obama pardon him?) on
- Democrats won’t say a word about high-flying pedophile (and FOB) Jeffrey Epstein—and neither will Republicans! (How come?) on
- For their Statement of No Confidence in drone war consigliere Harold Koh, NYU law students feel the heat from their professors
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Why NYU law students have no confidence in Harold Koh (It isn't just the drones...)
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- William Betz
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.