Mystery in IraqAre US Munitions to Blame for Basra Birth Defects?
By Alexander Smoltczyk
The guns have been silent in Iraq for years, but in Basra and Fallujah the number of birth defects and cancer cases is on the rise. Locals believe that American uranium-tipped munitions are to blame and some researchers think they might be right.
It sounds at first as if the old man were drunk. Or perhaps as though he had been reading Greek myths. But Askar Bin Said doesn’t read anything, especially not books, and there is no alcohol in Basra. In fact, he says, he saw the creatures he describes with his own eyes: “Some had only one eye in the forehead. Or two heads. One had a tail like a skinned lamb. Another one looked like a perfectly normal child, but with a monkey’s face. Or the girl whose legs had grown together, half fish, half human.”
The babies Askar Bin Said describes were brought to him. He washed them and wrapped them in shrouds, and then he buried them in the dry soil, littered with bits of plastic and can lids, of his own cemetery, which has been in his family for five generations. It’s a cemetery only for children.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “No comparison can be made” between 9/11 and CIA torture, says Dick Cheney (and he would know!)
- Nailed by all-white jury for “election fraud,” Rev. Edward Pinckney faces life in prison
- Is that President Obama’s CIA, or the CIA’s President Obama?
- Rudy Giuliani uses Eric Garner’s death to bash the Teachers Union
- Bush/Cheney convicted of war crimes in absentia
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- "No comparison can be made" between 9/11 and CIA torture, says Dick Cheney (and he would know!)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Is that President Obama's CIA, or the CIA's President Obama?
- Online Journal
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Talking Points Memo
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.