Mystery in IraqAre US Munitions to Blame for Basra Birth Defects?
By Alexander Smoltczyk
The guns have been silent in Iraq for years, but in Basra and Fallujah the number of birth defects and cancer cases is on the rise. Locals believe that American uranium-tipped munitions are to blame and some researchers think they might be right.
It sounds at first as if the old man were drunk. Or perhaps as though he had been reading Greek myths. But Askar Bin Said doesn’t read anything, especially not books, and there is no alcohol in Basra. In fact, he says, he saw the creatures he describes with his own eyes: “Some had only one eye in the forehead. Or two heads. One had a tail like a skinned lamb. Another one looked like a perfectly normal child, but with a monkey’s face. Or the girl whose legs had grown together, half fish, half human.”
The babies Askar Bin Said describes were brought to him. He washed them and wrapped them in shrouds, and then he buried them in the dry soil, littered with bits of plastic and can lids, of his own cemetery, which has been in his family for five generations. It’s a cemetery only for children.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Four years later, BP’s Gulf is still a hell on earth
- In Washington, you can get away with murder (and that’s not all), but NOT with blowing the whistle on it
- NYTimes “exposé” of Russian troops in E. Ukraine is full of holes
- NYU Law School trustee subpoenas NYU law students’ emails
- The thunderous goose-stepping of the US press is drowning out the truth about Ukraine
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Brian on In California, GMO food labeling law will be on ballots on Election Day!
- NATO moving in on Russia (2 items)
- EU spy chief sees NO Russian troops in East Ukraine
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- NYU Law School trustee subpoenas NYU law students' emails
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers "2 + 2 = 5!" (3 items)
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.