Mystery in IraqAre US Munitions to Blame for Basra Birth Defects?
By Alexander Smoltczyk
The guns have been silent in Iraq for years, but in Basra and Fallujah the number of birth defects and cancer cases is on the rise. Locals believe that American uranium-tipped munitions are to blame and some researchers think they might be right.
It sounds at first as if the old man were drunk. Or perhaps as though he had been reading Greek myths. But Askar Bin Said doesn’t read anything, especially not books, and there is no alcohol in Basra. In fact, he says, he saw the creatures he describes with his own eyes: “Some had only one eye in the forehead. Or two heads. One had a tail like a skinned lamb. Another one looked like a perfectly normal child, but with a monkey’s face. Or the girl whose legs had grown together, half fish, half human.”
The babies Askar Bin Said describes were brought to him. He washed them and wrapped them in shrouds, and then he buried them in the dry soil, littered with bits of plastic and can lids, of his own cemetery, which has been in his family for five generations. It’s a cemetery only for children.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Dept. of the Glaringly Obvious: GOP doesn’t want majority to vote because majority would not elect Republicans
- 53 million US workers—1 out of every 3—is a “freelancer”
- More questions about those “beheadings”
- The nightmare of Bush/Cheney is Obama’s normal
- Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- More questions about those "beheadings"
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Michigan's "thriving" charter schools are worse than public schools, with no accountability (Detroit Free Press)
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.