Thanks to Daniel Bowman Simon (for this piece from late October):
Change.org: We’ve Seen This Before
By Wenonah Hauter
Wenonah Hauter, Executive Director, Food & Water Watch
Recently, the Huffington Post reported that Change.org has abandoned its progressive roots and planned on doing it without telling anyone, according to documents leaked from a Change.org employee to Jeff Bryant with Campaign for America’s Future. (According to this petition on rival petition site Signon.org, that employee has now been fired.)
So why is Change.org changing?
“[W]e as an organization have transitioned from an American cause-based organizing network with a largely progressive agenda into a global platform open to a wider diversity of participants and perspectives,” wrote Change.org founder and CEO Ben Rattray to his staff, in an email also leaked to the Huffington Post.
From: Daniel Bowman Simon
Date: Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Subject: WSJ Change.org Tests the Line Between Activism, Profits
To: Mark Crispin Miller
If you haven’t seen the WSJ piece below, I think you will find interesting:
Change.org Tests the Line Between Activism, Profits
By John Bussey
11 June 2012
The Wall Street Journal
Signing onto the email collector that is Change.org, the online-petition site, is like being a sea turtle wandering into a drift net.
But is that such a bad thing?
Change.org is the for-profit, online-petition site famous for forcing Bank of America and Verizon to roll back customer fees, or so it claims. The company sells access to its members to groups keen to raise funds. There are several sites like it, and they are growing rapidly. But few if any are growing as rapidly as Change.org, and none has made as big a splash in corporate America.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Words of Power
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
- Writers Voice
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- Online Journal
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Barry Gordon
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.