Compare the Guardian’s coverage, the horror duly noted in the headline and the lede, with the Times story—which ran on an inside page, with the horror discreetly noted, only once, in the fifth paragraph (of ten), and in a quoted fragment of the court’s decision.
So most Times readers would have missed a datum that, to put it mildly, doesn’t jibe with the heroic image of the CIA that hits us everywhere we look, from TV, movies and pop fiction to the loud supportive arias routinely belted out by politicians and, of course, the CIA itself.
In the second Times item below, for example, Michael J. Morrell, Acting Director of the CIA, responded to the voluminous new Senate report on CIA abuse of terror suspects with a paternal pat on the collective back of the entire CIA work-force, claiming to be “very proud of of the courage and commitment each of you brings to the mission of protecting our country from the many threats and other national security challenges it faces.”
Since Morrell excepted no one from that institutional salute, he must be “very proud” as well of those bad apples (assuming that they are) who either did the actual torturing and sodomizing of Khaled el-Masri (as it appears they did), or “merely” supervised it.And if he’s “very proud” of such behavior, he must believe it somehow serves “the mission of protecting our country from the many threats … it faces”—which, of course, do not include a CIA that rapes and tortures with impunity.
Having such a CIA is bad enough; but it is even worse to have a press that largely keeps the people in the dark about it.
1) CIA ‘tortured and sodomised’ terror suspect, human rights court rules
2) Court Finds Rights Violation in C.I.A. Rendition Case
3) C.I.A. Director Reacts to Report Critical of Detainee Interrogations
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NYU gave John Sexton’s son a duplex in the Village, despite a “severe housing shortage” for the faculty
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers “2 + 2 = 5!” (3 items)
- Kiev junta orders military to attack pro-Russian protesters (just after CIA’s John Brennan pays a secret visit there), says Yanukovich
- Holocaust memorial in Odessa (Ukraine) vandalized with swastikas
- Hillary loves Boeing, just like Bush/Cheney did
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Brian on In California, GMO food labeling law will be on ballots on Election Day!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers "2 + 2 = 5!" (3 items)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- NYU gave John Sexton's son a duplex in the Village, despite a "severe housing shortage" for the faculty
- Obama didn't prosecute Bush/Cheney out of fear he'd end up like Paul Wellstone
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- Mainstream Baptist
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.