Compare the Guardian’s coverage, the horror duly noted in the headline and the lede, with the Times story—which ran on an inside page, with the horror discreetly noted, only once, in the fifth paragraph (of ten), and in a quoted fragment of the court’s decision.
So most Times readers would have missed a datum that, to put it mildly, doesn’t jibe with the heroic image of the CIA that hits us everywhere we look, from TV, movies and pop fiction to the loud supportive arias routinely belted out by politicians and, of course, the CIA itself.
In the second Times item below, for example, Michael J. Morrell, Acting Director of the CIA, responded to the voluminous new Senate report on CIA abuse of terror suspects with a paternal pat on the collective back of the entire CIA work-force, claiming to be “very proud of of the courage and commitment each of you brings to the mission of protecting our country from the many threats and other national security challenges it faces.”
Since Morrell excepted no one from that institutional salute, he must be “very proud” as well of those bad apples (assuming that they are) who either did the actual torturing and sodomizing of Khaled el-Masri (as it appears they did), or “merely” supervised it.And if he’s “very proud” of such behavior, he must believe it somehow serves “the mission of protecting our country from the many threats … it faces”—which, of course, do not include a CIA that rapes and tortures with impunity.
Having such a CIA is bad enough; but it is even worse to have a press that largely keeps the people in the dark about it.
1) CIA ‘tortured and sodomised’ terror suspect, human rights court rules
2) Court Finds Rights Violation in C.I.A. Rendition Case
3) C.I.A. Director Reacts to Report Critical of Detainee Interrogations
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- More on the NY Fed’s strange flight to Chicago
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What’s up?
- Commanders of Missouri National Guard saw protesters in Ferguson as “enemy forces,” “adversaries,” “hate groups”
- Abu Dhabi on the Hudson: NYU goes after student protesters for trying to hand out flyers
- Virginia dumps its e-vote system after finding it ridiculously hackable
- FBI charged with “whitewash” of Saudi link to 9/11 on
- TEPCO slammed for year-long cover-up of latest radioactive leak on
- If Jeb Bush steals the White House, he’ll cut Medicaid, raise the retirement age, means test Social Security, and…. on
- Don Siegelman won’t be released from prison (WHY won’t Obama pardon him?) on
- Democrats won’t say a word about high-flying pedophile (and FOB) Jeffrey Epstein—and neither will Republicans! (How come?) on
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Why NYU law students have no confidence in Harold Koh (It isn't just the drones...)
- For their Statement of No Confidence in drone war consigliere Harold Koh, NYU law students feel the heat from their professors
- Barry Gordon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- Online Journal
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The International Human Press
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.