Compare the Guardian’s coverage, the horror duly noted in the headline and the lede, with the Times story—which ran on an inside page, with the horror discreetly noted, only once, in the fifth paragraph (of ten), and in a quoted fragment of the court’s decision.
So most Times readers would have missed a datum that, to put it mildly, doesn’t jibe with the heroic image of the CIA that hits us everywhere we look, from TV, movies and pop fiction to the loud supportive arias routinely belted out by politicians and, of course, the CIA itself.
In the second Times item below, for example, Michael J. Morrell, Acting Director of the CIA, responded to the voluminous new Senate report on CIA abuse of terror suspects with a paternal pat on the collective back of the entire CIA work-force, claiming to be “very proud of of the courage and commitment each of you brings to the mission of protecting our country from the many threats and other national security challenges it faces.”
Since Morrell excepted no one from that institutional salute, he must be “very proud” as well of those bad apples (assuming that they are) who either did the actual torturing and sodomizing of Khaled el-Masri (as it appears they did), or “merely” supervised it.And if he’s “very proud” of such behavior, he must believe it somehow serves “the mission of protecting our country from the many threats … it faces”—which, of course, do not include a CIA that rapes and tortures with impunity.
Having such a CIA is bad enough; but it is even worse to have a press that largely keeps the people in the dark about it.
1) CIA ‘tortured and sodomised’ terror suspect, human rights court rules
2) Court Finds Rights Violation in C.I.A. Rendition Case
3) C.I.A. Director Reacts to Report Critical of Detainee Interrogations
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You know that FBI “smoking gun” video of the Tsarnaev brothers planting that bomb? You don’t, because there isn’t one….
- Nobel Peace Prize chairman (finally) gets what he deserves for giving one to Pres. Obama
- Coke pulls German-language ad that seems nostalgic for “the Good Old Times” when Hitler ruled
- Someone needs to put saltpeter in Joe Biden’s coffee
- After “one viewer” complains, RT faces UK inquiry over “anti-Western” comments in TV debate about Ukraine
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- You know that FBI "smoking gun" video of the Tsarnaev brothers planting that bomb? You don't, because there isn't one....
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Election Defense Alliance
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- Media Channel
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.