Compare the Guardian’s coverage, the horror duly noted in the headline and the lede, with the Times story—which ran on an inside page, with the horror discreetly noted, only once, in the fifth paragraph (of ten), and in a quoted fragment of the court’s decision.
So most Times readers would have missed a datum that, to put it mildly, doesn’t jibe with the heroic image of the CIA that hits us everywhere we look, from TV, movies and pop fiction to the loud supportive arias routinely belted out by politicians and, of course, the CIA itself.
In the second Times item below, for example, Michael J. Morrell, Acting Director of the CIA, responded to the voluminous new Senate report on CIA abuse of terror suspects with a paternal pat on the collective back of the entire CIA work-force, claiming to be “very proud of of the courage and commitment each of you brings to the mission of protecting our country from the many threats and other national security challenges it faces.”
Since Morrell excepted no one from that institutional salute, he must be “very proud” as well of those bad apples (assuming that they are) who either did the actual torturing and sodomizing of Khaled el-Masri (as it appears they did), or “merely” supervised it.And if he’s “very proud” of such behavior, he must believe it somehow serves “the mission of protecting our country from the many threats … it faces”—which, of course, do not include a CIA that rapes and tortures with impunity.
Having such a CIA is bad enough; but it is even worse to have a press that largely keeps the people in the dark about it.
1) CIA ‘tortured and sodomised’ terror suspect, human rights court rules
2) Court Finds Rights Violation in C.I.A. Rendition Case
3) C.I.A. Director Reacts to Report Critical of Detainee Interrogations
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- TPP is nothing but a huge gag order on the public, cooked up by and for the corporations (with Obama’s eager help)
- Professor at U. Texas quits over “campus carry” gun law
- America needs NEW voting machines? Why? To make sure Bernie Sanders doesn’t win?
- Hillary Clinton’s plan to “rein in” Wall Street banks will be just great for them, and her, and Bill, and no one else
- Jeb says George protected voting rights “too much”
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the "case" against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Why is Putin bombing ISIS? Because the US isn't bombing them at all! (And why is that?))
- Who is killing all those "natural health" physicians in America?
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- Words of Power
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
- Cody Lyon
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.