Fueled by War on Drugs, Mexican Death Toll Could Exceed 120,000 As Calderon Ends Six-Year Reign
Wednesday, 28 November 2012 09:11By Mark Karlin, Truthout | Report
In the first part of this year, Truthout posted a series of ten articles that dispelled the myths surrounding the failed US/Mexico war on drugs. As a follow-up, this article details newly released statistics that indicate the predicted death toll from the alleged war-turned-bloodbath will likely far exceed past estimates.
In late August, the internationally respected French newspaper Le Monde posted an editorial denouncing the war on drugs in Mexico: “The Spiral of Barbarity.” The most important and ominous figure cited by Le Monde is that perhaps 120,000 (or more) Mexican citizens will have been intentionally killed during the presidency of Felipe Calderón:
Within Le Monde, two years ago, Mexican President Felipe Calderon welcomed the results of the large-scale war committed since the beginning of his term in December 2006, against organized crime and drug traffickers. “We will defeat crime,” he asserted. He addressed the concerns of those who denounced the increased violence in the country: “If you see dust, it is because we clean the house.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Whose planes are making ammunition drops for ISIS?
- What happened to WSJ oil reporter David Bird? (Last week they found his body, after 14 months)
- Helping “pre-elect” Jeb Bush, SCOTUS won’t hear challenge to Wisconsin’s photo ID law
- US banks are now required to tell the cops of any “suspicious activity”—like withdrawing $5,000
- Here’s a lot of scary truth about the Boston bombing trial
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Prison notes from Abu Dhabi: U. Florida professor jailed for taking pictures
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Some vaccines are safe—and some are DANGEROUS! (MUST-READ)
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- Richard Charnin
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- Cody Lyon
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.