Fueled by War on Drugs, Mexican Death Toll Could Exceed 120,000 As Calderon Ends Six-Year Reign
Wednesday, 28 November 2012 09:11By Mark Karlin, Truthout | Report
In the first part of this year, Truthout posted a series of ten articles that dispelled the myths surrounding the failed US/Mexico war on drugs. As a follow-up, this article details newly released statistics that indicate the predicted death toll from the alleged war-turned-bloodbath will likely far exceed past estimates.
In late August, the internationally respected French newspaper Le Monde posted an editorial denouncing the war on drugs in Mexico: “The Spiral of Barbarity.” The most important and ominous figure cited by Le Monde is that perhaps 120,000 (or more) Mexican citizens will have been intentionally killed during the presidency of Felipe Calderón:
Within Le Monde, two years ago, Mexican President Felipe Calderon welcomed the results of the large-scale war committed since the beginning of his term in December 2006, against organized crime and drug traffickers. “We will defeat crime,” he asserted. He addressed the concerns of those who denounced the increased violence in the country: “If you see dust, it is because we clean the house.”
CONSPIRACY THEORY IN AMERICA
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- An online auction that will rock your world—and help us save the Village!
- Obama’s TPP is everything that Ronald Reagan ever hoped for
- Japan state secrets bill “approved” by force, as Abe starts new “reign of terror” to keep Fukushima under wraps (7)
- Dubai jails a US citizen for posting a comedy video to YouTube #freeshez
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP!
- wombat on What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014 :: News … | Save The Pacific Ocean on Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014
- Gus Wynn on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Robin Roland on Score one (at last) for the Election Integrity movement!
- Julie on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren's petition to halt "fast track" of TPP!
- Clear Channel to shut down leftwing talk stations in LA, SF
- Iceland, in a peaceful revolution, busts the banksters & throws out its government! (Now THAT's democracy!)
- Visa quits ALEC
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Online Journal
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- William Betz
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.