AlterNet / By James K. Galbraith
6 Reasons the Fiscal Cliff is a Scam
November 22, 2012 |
Stripped to essentials, the fiscal cliff is a device constructed to force a rollback of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, as the price of avoiding tax increases and disruptive cuts in federal civilian programs and in the military. It was policy-making by hostage-taking, timed for the lame duck session, a contrived crisis, the plain idea now unfolding was to force a stampede.
In the nature of stampedes arguments become confused; panic flows from fear, when multiple forces – economic and political in this instance – all appear to push the same way. It is therefore useful to sort through those forces, breaking them down into separate questions, and to ask whether any of them justify the voices of doom.
First, is there a looming crisis of debt or deficits, such that sacrifices in general are necessary? No, there is not. Not in the short run – as almost everyone agrees. But also: not in the long run. What we have are computer projections, based on arbitrary – and in fact capricious – assumptions. But even the computer projections no longer show much of a crisis. CBO has adjusted its interest rate forecast, and even under its “alternative fiscal scenario” the debt/GDP ratio now stabilizes after a few years.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TPP is nothing but a huge gag order on the public, cooked up by and for the corporations (with Obama’s eager help)
- Professor at U. Texas quits over “campus carry” gun law
- America needs NEW voting machines? Why? To make sure Bernie Sanders doesn’t win?
- Hillary Clinton’s plan to “rein in” Wall Street banks will be just great for them, and her, and Bill, and no one else
- Jeb says George protected voting rights “too much”
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the "case" against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Who is killing all those "natural health" physicians in America?
- Why is Putin bombing ISIS? Because the US isn't bombing them at all! (And why is that?))
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- Words of Power
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting