Black Friday was a breakout day for Wal-Mart workers all across the country,
with strikes and protests in 46 states.
While it got big play in the British Guardian, on MSNBC and, in some places,
local TV news, that unprecedented action got scant coverage in the New York
Times, whose editors did all they could to play it down.
On the front page: “Optimistic Consumers Go on Shopping Spree” (an
item captioning a big photo of a grinning multitude cascading into Macy’s,
and a smaller, cuter one of an exhausted shopper napping on the couch in
a furniture display somewhere.)
On the front page of Business Day: “India Unit of Wal-Mart Suspends Employees.”
On p. 5 of Business Day: “Wal-Mart Dismisses Labor Protests at Its Stores.“
A photo of protesters has this caption:
“A Walmart in Secaucus, N.J. Organizers said 1,000 stores had demonstrations,
but company officials called that an exaggeration.”
Thus the coverage by the New York Times is basically no different from the coverage by
Fox News (below):
Alan Grayson Helps Walmart Worker Walk Off Job in ‘Black Friday’ Protest
Protestors Greet Black Friday Walmart Shoppers in Wisconsin
Walmart hit by Black Friday strikes across 46 states, say protesters
Fox’s Fawning Pro-Walmart Segment “Brought To You By Walmart”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- 77 million Americans face debt collectors
- A look back at how the US destroyed Libya
- Howling over Putin’s crimes (?), US backs the killers in Ukraine and Gaza
- Why do university administrators get paid so much (and for doing WHAT, exactly)?
- How natural gas—Obama’s panacea—-makes global warming WORSE
- Gary Ravetto on Don’t let them STARVE Don Siegelman!
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Lest we forget: US shot down a civilian airliner, killing 290 people; then lied about it (and never apologized)
- FL cop forces drunk man to move his car, then shoots him dead when he bumps into other cars
- URGENT! Don and Lori Siegelman need your help!
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- William Betz
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Election Defense Alliance
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.