Black Friday was a breakout day for Wal-Mart workers all across the country,
with strikes and protests in 46 states.
While it got big play in the British Guardian, on MSNBC and, in some places,
local TV news, that unprecedented action got scant coverage in the New York
Times, whose editors did all they could to play it down.
On the front page: “Optimistic Consumers Go on Shopping Spree” (an
item captioning a big photo of a grinning multitude cascading into Macy’s,
and a smaller, cuter one of an exhausted shopper napping on the couch in
a furniture display somewhere.)
On the front page of Business Day: “India Unit of Wal-Mart Suspends Employees.”
On p. 5 of Business Day: “Wal-Mart Dismisses Labor Protests at Its Stores.“
A photo of protesters has this caption:
“A Walmart in Secaucus, N.J. Organizers said 1,000 stores had demonstrations,
but company officials called that an exaggeration.”
Thus the coverage by the New York Times is basically no different from the coverage by
Fox News (below):
Alan Grayson Helps Walmart Worker Walk Off Job in ‘Black Friday’ Protest
Protestors Greet Black Friday Walmart Shoppers in Wisconsin
Walmart hit by Black Friday strikes across 46 states, say protesters
Fox’s Fawning Pro-Walmart Segment “Brought To You By Walmart”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Why Earth demands this march in New York City: A reply to Arun Gupta
- Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but: How the “People’s Climate March” became a corporate PR
- Join Us! Save Our Parks/Save the Village, Rally and Press Conference Featuring a Performance by the World Famous STOMP
- “Putin’s a Jew”: Guardian reports (yet downplays) Nazi thrust of Kiev’s eastern drive
- Dept. of the Glaringly Obvious: GOP doesn’t want majority to vote because majority would not elect Republicans
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Not to rain on anyone's parade, but: How the "People's Climate March" became a corporate PR
- More questions about those "beheadings"
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.