Black Friday was a breakout day for Wal-Mart workers all across the country,
with strikes and protests in 46 states.
While it got big play in the British Guardian, on MSNBC and, in some places,
local TV news, that unprecedented action got scant coverage in the New York
Times, whose editors did all they could to play it down.
On the front page: “Optimistic Consumers Go on Shopping Spree” (an
item captioning a big photo of a grinning multitude cascading into Macy’s,
and a smaller, cuter one of an exhausted shopper napping on the couch in
a furniture display somewhere.)
On the front page of Business Day: “India Unit of Wal-Mart Suspends Employees.”
On p. 5 of Business Day: “Wal-Mart Dismisses Labor Protests at Its Stores.“
A photo of protesters has this caption:
“A Walmart in Secaucus, N.J. Organizers said 1,000 stores had demonstrations,
but company officials called that an exaggeration.”
Thus the coverage by the New York Times is basically no different from the coverage by
Fox News (below):
Alan Grayson Helps Walmart Worker Walk Off Job in ‘Black Friday’ Protest
Protestors Greet Black Friday Walmart Shoppers in Wisconsin
Walmart hit by Black Friday strikes across 46 states, say protesters
Fox’s Fawning Pro-Walmart Segment “Brought To You By Walmart”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- You know that FBI “smoking gun” video of the Tsarnaev brothers planting that bomb? You don’t, because there isn’t one….
- Nobel Peace Prize chairman (finally) gets what he deserves for giving one to Pres. Obama
- Coke pulls German-language ad that seems nostalgic for “the Good Old Times” when Hitler ruled
- Someone needs to put saltpeter in Joe Biden’s coffee
- After “one viewer” complains, RT faces UK inquiry over “anti-Western” comments in TV debate about Ukraine
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- You know that FBI "smoking gun" video of the Tsarnaev brothers planting that bomb? You don't, because there isn't one....
- Gitmo on Lake Michigan: Chicago PD's "black site" is a glaring crime against the Bill of Rights
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
- t r u t h o u t
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.