Black Friday was a breakout day for Wal-Mart workers all across the country,
with strikes and protests in 46 states.
While it got big play in the British Guardian, on MSNBC and, in some places,
local TV news, that unprecedented action got scant coverage in the New York
Times, whose editors did all they could to play it down.
On the front page: “Optimistic Consumers Go on Shopping Spree” (an
item captioning a big photo of a grinning multitude cascading into Macy’s,
and a smaller, cuter one of an exhausted shopper napping on the couch in
a furniture display somewhere.)
On the front page of Business Day: “India Unit of Wal-Mart Suspends Employees.”
On p. 5 of Business Day: “Wal-Mart Dismisses Labor Protests at Its Stores.“
A photo of protesters has this caption:
“A Walmart in Secaucus, N.J. Organizers said 1,000 stores had demonstrations,
but company officials called that an exaggeration.”
Thus the coverage by the New York Times is basically no different from the coverage by
Fox News (below):
Alan Grayson Helps Walmart Worker Walk Off Job in ‘Black Friday’ Protest
Protestors Greet Black Friday Walmart Shoppers in Wisconsin
Walmart hit by Black Friday strikes across 46 states, say protesters
Fox’s Fawning Pro-Walmart Segment “Brought To You By Walmart”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- The International Human Press
- Talking Points Memo
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.