It was David Barlow of the Times who broke this story back in April.
(So why is the Gray Lady going soft on Wal-Mart now?)
Walmart CEOs Concealed Evidence of Vast Bribery Scandal
By Gustav Wynn (about the author)
Each Black Friday we hear all about Walmart, from the jaw-dropping discounts that make competing customers resort to gunplay – to the deaths by trampling. This year, we’ve been hearing about coordinated strikes, walk-outs and protests as Walmart workers have begun to resent the depths of their corporate exploitation. But we don’t hear about the rampant corruption uncovered in Walmart’s expansion operations as multiple bribery probes continue to widen.
Walmart is the biggest retailer in known history, employing one million US workers and making $3.63 billion in profits just in the most recent quarter. Obviously, a business this size will hold a lot of sway in media where they are regular advertisers. Maybe that’s why we’re not hearing about a global bribery scandal which should be leading to perp walks, but so far, is barely being reported.
Kudos to the Boston Globe for updating the story that David Barstow quietly broke in the New York Times last April. In brief, it explained how Walmart had systematically bribed officials to fast-track expansion in Mexico.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NYU’s horrific plan for Greenwich Village—and how you can help us STOP it!
- New York City hasn’t had this many homeless children since the Great Depression
- An online auction that will rock your world—and help us save the Village!
- Obama’s TPP is everything that Ronald Reagan ever hoped for
- Japan state secrets bill “approved” by force, as Abe starts new “reign of terror” to keep Fukushima under wraps (7)
- fasdffsd on Craiglist ad seeks “writers to post Right-Wing Comments to social media & news outlets”
- Internet Marketing Agentur 6020 on Private cop organization, linked to DHS, helped plan raids on OWS nationwide
- wombat on What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014 :: News … | Save The Pacific Ocean on Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014
- Gus Wynn on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- NYU's horrific plan for Greenwich Village—and how you can help us STOP it!
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren's petition to halt "fast track" of TPP!
- Iceland, in a peaceful revolution, busts the banksters & throws out its government! (Now THAT's democracy!)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Clear Channel to shut down leftwing talk stations in LA, SF
- Early America
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- Talking Points Memo
- Mainstream Baptist
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- Words of Power
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.