It was David Barlow of the Times who broke this story back in April.
(So why is the Gray Lady going soft on Wal-Mart now?)
Walmart CEOs Concealed Evidence of Vast Bribery Scandal
By Gustav Wynn (about the author)
Each Black Friday we hear all about Walmart, from the jaw-dropping discounts that make competing customers resort to gunplay – to the deaths by trampling. This year, we’ve been hearing about coordinated strikes, walk-outs and protests as Walmart workers have begun to resent the depths of their corporate exploitation. But we don’t hear about the rampant corruption uncovered in Walmart’s expansion operations as multiple bribery probes continue to widen.
Walmart is the biggest retailer in known history, employing one million US workers and making $3.63 billion in profits just in the most recent quarter. Obviously, a business this size will hold a lot of sway in media where they are regular advertisers. Maybe that’s why we’re not hearing about a global bribery scandal which should be leading to perp walks, but so far, is barely being reported.
Kudos to the Boston Globe for updating the story that David Barstow quietly broke in the New York Times last April. In brief, it explained how Walmart had systematically bribed officials to fast-track expansion in Mexico.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its “profile” of Vandana Shiva
- Kiev’s forces failing in the East
- We’re paying dearly for Barack Obama’s faux-progressive dance
- Vexed by dissidents in parliament, Ukraine’s president dissolves it
- “Bad teachers” are the cause of US inequality, according to Bill Gates. (Did he learn that in school?)
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Pressure at work on “Liberal election fraud running rampant” in Arizona, say Tea-Baggers!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- "Bad teachers" are the cause of US inequality, according to Bill Gates. (Did he learn that in school?)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Special Branch protected elite British pedophiles
- Help tell the world about what happened to Don Siegelman!
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- Richard Charnin
- Online Journal
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Ostroy Report
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.