Thus this college takes a real step toward sustainability—unlike those metastasizing
universities that use the buzzword of “sustainability” to mask their overbuilding with a
nice “green” glow.
Unity College Becomes First to Pull Money From Dirty Energy
Saturday, 17 November 2012 21:48 By Stephen Mulkey, YES! Magazine | News Analysis
We are running out of time. While our public policy makers equivocate and avoid the topic of climate change, the window of opportunity for salvaging a livable planet for our children and grandchildren is rapidly closing.
The way forward is clear, though for many confrontation-averse academics the path seems impassable. It requires action that is unnatural to the scientifically initiated: to fight to regain the territory illegitimately occupied by the climate change deniers.
Every day that we avoid taking action represents additional emissions and additional infrastructure that is dependent on our fossil fuel-based economy. In our zeal to be collegial, we engage with those who are paid by vested interests to argue that our Earth is not in crisis. When these individuals demonize public investment in alternative energy, we fail to point out how the oil industry benefited from significant taxpayer support in its infancy and continues to receive government subsidies today. We also sidestep the thorny issue of how oil and coal, in particular, fund large-scale organized opposition efforts to deny legitimate science, winning the battle for climate change public opinion with slogans, junk science, and money.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Two countries don’t guarantee paid maternity leave: Papua New Guinea—and the USA!
- Chicago PMI marks biggest drop since October, 2008
- Average US household worth 1/3 less, while assets of the 1% keep soaring…
- What is stray current doing to us? The utilities don’t want us asking…
- Veteran spooks call on Obama to release the evidence (if any) that the Russians did it
- Gary Ravetto on Don’t let them STARVE Don Siegelman!
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- On MH17, some theories that make sense (unlike the shrill crapola we keep hearing)
- FL cop forces drunk man to move his car, then shoots him dead when he bumps into other cars
- URGENT! Don and Lori Siegelman need your help!
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.