Ian Wylie wrote this piece before the storm.
Post-Sandy, NYUFASP’s critique of Sexton’s plan is even more compelling.
Skyscraper’s the limit for furious NYU academics
15 November 2012
University plans to expand in Greenwich Village have sparked a grass-roots revolt, finds Ian Wylie
Mark Crispin Miller, professor of media, culture and communication at New York University Steinhardt, is warming to his role as MC for the evening. “I hope you’re all enjoying the music,” he calls out to his rowdy basement audience at the Poisson Rouge club in New York’s Greenwich Village. “Because if NYU has its way, the music will stop.”
Miller is de facto leader of the opposition to “NYU 2031” – New York University’s mooted redevelopment of its core campus in Greenwich Village that has united disgruntled members of faculty and residents of this bohemian neighbourhood, which was a powder keg of protest in the 1960s.
City planners have sanctioned the expansion but this evening’s benefit concert is raising funds for a legal challenge. Musicians John Zorn, Thurston Moore and Gary Lucas are on the bill. Celebrity residents Susan Sarandon, Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker have pledged support, too.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Words of Power
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Thom Hartmann
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.