Strike Debt, our Occupy coalition, is launching its Rolling Jubilee project on November 15th with a variety show telethon called The People’s Bailout. We are going to buy up distressed debt for pennies on the dollar, just like the debt collectors do. Instead of collecting on the debt, we are going to abolish it, and provide relief to the debtors. A successful test run this week has already eliminated a substantial amount of people’s debt. Our initial goal is to raise $50,000, which will allow us to abolish more than one million dollars worth of debt. 100% of donations will go to buying debt. If we raise more, we’ll buy more debt. Donations can be made online at rollingjubilee.org. A short video explains the project here.
Tickets are still available here for the Peoples Bailout telethon at Le Poisson Rouge, though they are selling fast on account of the all-star lineup, which includes Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel, Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth, Guy Picciotto of Fugazi, Tunde Adebimpe of TV on the Radio, comedian Janeane Garofalo, and Daily Show co-creator Lizz Winstead, plus some special surprise guests …
The main show will be broadcast live at rollingjubilee.org.
Our first project, if you missed it, is the Debt Resistors Operations Manual, which was launched on September 17th, and can be downloaded here. It offers all kinds of useful advice (including from industry insiders) about how to escape debt. 10,000 copies were printed, and have already become collectors’ items. It is being translated into several languages.
You Are Not a Loan
2 Comments to “The Rolling Jubilee will set us free—from debt!”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its “profile” of Vandana Shiva
- Kiev’s forces failing in the East
- We’re paying dearly for Barack Obama’s faux-progressive dance
- Vexed by dissidents in parliament, Ukraine’s president dissolves it
- “Bad teachers” are the cause of US inequality, according to Bill Gates. (Did he learn that in school?)
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Pressure at work on “Liberal election fraud running rampant” in Arizona, say Tea-Baggers!
- "Bad teachers" are the cause of US inequality, according to Bill Gates. (Did he learn that in school?)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Help tell the world about what happened to Don Siegelman!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its "profile" of Vandana Shiva
- Media Channel
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Election Defense Alliance
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Ostroy Report
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.