Strike Debt, our Occupy coalition, is launching its Rolling Jubilee project on November 15th with a variety show telethon called The People’s Bailout. We are going to buy up distressed debt for pennies on the dollar, just like the debt collectors do. Instead of collecting on the debt, we are going to abolish it, and provide relief to the debtors. A successful test run this week has already eliminated a substantial amount of people’s debt. Our initial goal is to raise $50,000, which will allow us to abolish more than one million dollars worth of debt. 100% of donations will go to buying debt. If we raise more, we’ll buy more debt. Donations can be made online at rollingjubilee.org. A short video explains the project here.
Tickets are still available here for the Peoples Bailout telethon at Le Poisson Rouge, though they are selling fast on account of the all-star lineup, which includes Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel, Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth, Guy Picciotto of Fugazi, Tunde Adebimpe of TV on the Radio, comedian Janeane Garofalo, and Daily Show co-creator Lizz Winstead, plus some special surprise guests …
The main show will be broadcast live at rollingjubilee.org.
Our first project, if you missed it, is the Debt Resistors Operations Manual, which was launched on September 17th, and can be downloaded here. It offers all kinds of useful advice (including from industry insiders) about how to escape debt. 10,000 copies were printed, and have already become collectors’ items. It is being translated into several languages.
You Are Not a Loan
2 Comments to “The Rolling Jubilee will set us free—from debt!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You know that FBI “smoking gun” video of the Tsarnaev brothers planting that bomb? You don’t, because there isn’t one….
- Nobel Peace Prize chairman (finally) gets what he deserves for giving one to Pres. Obama
- Coke pulls German-language ad that seems nostalgic for “the Good Old Times” when Hitler ruled
- Someone needs to put saltpeter in Joe Biden’s coffee
- After “one viewer” complains, RT faces UK inquiry over “anti-Western” comments in TV debate about Ukraine
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- You know that FBI "smoking gun" video of the Tsarnaev brothers planting that bomb? You don't, because there isn't one....
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- Barry Gordon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.