Strike Debt, our Occupy coalition, is launching its Rolling Jubilee project on November 15th with a variety show telethon called The People’s Bailout. We are going to buy up distressed debt for pennies on the dollar, just like the debt collectors do. Instead of collecting on the debt, we are going to abolish it, and provide relief to the debtors. A successful test run this week has already eliminated a substantial amount of people’s debt. Our initial goal is to raise $50,000, which will allow us to abolish more than one million dollars worth of debt. 100% of donations will go to buying debt. If we raise more, we’ll buy more debt. Donations can be made online at rollingjubilee.org. A short video explains the project here.
Tickets are still available here for the Peoples Bailout telethon at Le Poisson Rouge, though they are selling fast on account of the all-star lineup, which includes Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel, Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth, Guy Picciotto of Fugazi, Tunde Adebimpe of TV on the Radio, comedian Janeane Garofalo, and Daily Show co-creator Lizz Winstead, plus some special surprise guests …
The main show will be broadcast live at rollingjubilee.org.
Our first project, if you missed it, is the Debt Resistors Operations Manual, which was launched on September 17th, and can be downloaded here. It offers all kinds of useful advice (including from industry insiders) about how to escape debt. 10,000 copies were printed, and have already become collectors’ items. It is being translated into several languages.
You Are Not a Loan
2 Comments to “The Rolling Jubilee will set us free—from debt!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Tens of thousands turning out for Bernie Sanders
- How Donald Trump will raise the profile of the White House
- How the players at the (so-called) Robin Hood Foundation want to make us even poorer
- British Special Forces “dressed up as ISIS rebels” fight Assad in Syria
- Citigroup facing federal probe over student loans
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the "case" against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- More on the NY Fed's strange flight to Chicago
- Media Matters
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.