The Petraeus Legacy: A Paramilitary CIA?
By Jeremy Scahill, The Nation 15 November 12
It was the CIA director’s relationship with JSOC—not Paula Broadwell—that should have raised concerns.
While much of the media focus on l’affaire Petraeus has centered on the CIA director’s sexual relationship with his biographer, Paula Broadwell, the scandal opens a window onto a different and more consequential relationship-that between the CIA and the military’s Joint Special Operations Command. In a behind-the-scenes turf war that has raged since 9/11, the two government bodies have fought for control of the expanding global wars waged by the United States-a turf war that JSOC has largely won. Petraeus, an instrumental player in this power struggle, leaves behind an agency that has strayed from intelligence to paramilitary-type activities. Though his legacy will be defined largely by the scandal that ended his career, to many within military and intelligence circles, Petraeus’s career trajectory, from commander of US military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan to the helm of the CIA, is a symbol of this evolution.
“I would not say that CIA has been taken over by the military, but I would say that the CIA has become more militarized,” Philip Giraldi, a retired career CIA case officer, told The Nation. “A considerable part of the CIA budget is now no longer spying; it’s supporting paramilitaries who work closely with JSOC to kill terrorists, and to run the drone program.” The CIA, he added, “is a killing machine now.”
As head of US Central Command in 2009, Petraeus issued execute orders that significantly broadened the ability of US forces to operate in a variety of countries, including Yemen, where US forces began conducting missile strikes later that year. During Petraeus’s short tenure at the CIA, drone strikes conducted by the agency, sometimes in conjunction with JSOC, escalated dramatically in Yemen; in his first month in office, he oversaw a series of strikes that killed three US citizens, including 16-year-old Abdulrahman Awlaki. In some cases, such as the raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan, commandos from the elite JSOC operated under the auspices of the CIA, so that the mission could be kept secret if it went wrong.
One Comment to “The problem with Petraeus isn’t what he did with Paula Broadwell”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Putin’s a Jew”: Guardian reports (yet downplays) Nazi thrust of Kiev’s eastern drive
- Dept. of the Glaringly Obvious: GOP doesn’t want majority to vote because majority would not elect Republicans
- 53 million US workers—1 out of every 3—is a “freelancer”
- More questions about those “beheadings”
- The nightmare of Bush/Cheney is Obama’s normal
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- More questions about those "beheadings"
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Michigan's "thriving" charter schools are worse than public schools, with no accountability (Detroit Free Press)
- Richard Charnin
- The Ostroy Report
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- Writers Voice
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- t r u t h o u t
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.