The Petraeus Legacy: A Paramilitary CIA?
By Jeremy Scahill, The Nation 15 November 12
It was the CIA director’s relationship with JSOC—not Paula Broadwell—that should have raised concerns.
While much of the media focus on l’affaire Petraeus has centered on the CIA director’s sexual relationship with his biographer, Paula Broadwell, the scandal opens a window onto a different and more consequential relationship-that between the CIA and the military’s Joint Special Operations Command. In a behind-the-scenes turf war that has raged since 9/11, the two government bodies have fought for control of the expanding global wars waged by the United States-a turf war that JSOC has largely won. Petraeus, an instrumental player in this power struggle, leaves behind an agency that has strayed from intelligence to paramilitary-type activities. Though his legacy will be defined largely by the scandal that ended his career, to many within military and intelligence circles, Petraeus’s career trajectory, from commander of US military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan to the helm of the CIA, is a symbol of this evolution.
“I would not say that CIA has been taken over by the military, but I would say that the CIA has become more militarized,” Philip Giraldi, a retired career CIA case officer, told The Nation. “A considerable part of the CIA budget is now no longer spying; it’s supporting paramilitaries who work closely with JSOC to kill terrorists, and to run the drone program.” The CIA, he added, “is a killing machine now.”
As head of US Central Command in 2009, Petraeus issued execute orders that significantly broadened the ability of US forces to operate in a variety of countries, including Yemen, where US forces began conducting missile strikes later that year. During Petraeus’s short tenure at the CIA, drone strikes conducted by the agency, sometimes in conjunction with JSOC, escalated dramatically in Yemen; in his first month in office, he oversaw a series of strikes that killed three US citizens, including 16-year-old Abdulrahman Awlaki. In some cases, such as the raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan, commandos from the elite JSOC operated under the auspices of the CIA, so that the mission could be kept secret if it went wrong.
One Comment to “The problem with Petraeus isn’t what he did with Paula Broadwell”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- NYU reneges on its loud promises to pay the migrant workers who built its Abu Dhabi campus
- Why did Bernie pull his punches?
- OOPS! Victim testimonies in UK child sex abuse inquiry ALL DELETED (quite by accident, of course)
- “Untold number of civilians” slaughtered by Obama’s (airborne) Murder, Inc.
- To censor a live feed of the debate, CNN shuts down @Bernie2016tv
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.