Susan Rice’s Conflict of Interest – Major Holdings in Tar Sands Oil, Keystone XL Pipeline, and Canadian Financiers
November 29th, 2012
By Michael Collins
As Secretary of State, Rice would be responsible for the key recommendation to President Barack Obama on lifting thepresident’s ban on construction of the Keystone XL pipeline imposed in January. She would make the decision knowing that there would be major impact on nearly one third of her (and her husband’s) investments.
According to her 2011 financial disclosures, “Rice and her husband own at least $1.25 million worth of stock in four of Canada’s eight leading oil producers.” These include Enbridge, the oil company extracting the highly toxic tar sands oil from Alberta, Canada’s boreal forest, which are being destroyed to access the oil (boreal forests sequester carbon).
Rice has major holdings between $300,000 and $600,000 in TransCanada Corp, the firm building the Keystone XL pipeline. The pipeline crosses the Canadian border at North Dakota and proceeds through the Midwest on its way to Houston, Texas area refineries. The pipeline crosses over the main source of water for the Midwest, the Ogallala Aquifer. The oil will be shipped to China from Houston to fuel that nation’s voracious energy needs.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How the Christian right was formed by GM, GE, Standard Oil and other pious outfits
- “It will still take years to heal,” warns scientist who discovered ozone layer hole, back in 1985
- Who’s tuning in to all those fascists yammering on NYC talk radio? Almost no one in New York…
- NYTimes calls for MORE AGGRESSIVE preservation!
- Monsanto admits it has a whole department for smearing anti-GMO activists
- FBI charged with “whitewash” of Saudi link to 9/11 on
- TEPCO slammed for year-long cover-up of latest radioactive leak on
- If Jeb Bush steals the White House, he’ll cut Medicaid, raise the retirement age, means test Social Security, and…. on
- Don Siegelman won’t be released from prison (WHY won’t Obama pardon him?) on
- Democrats won’t say a word about high-flying pedophile (and FOB) Jeffrey Epstein—and neither will Republicans! (How come?) on
- For their Statement of No Confidence in drone war consigliere Harold Koh, NYU law students feel the heat from their professors
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Why NYU law students have no confidence in Harold Koh (It isn't just the drones...)
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- William Betz
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.