Susan Rice’s Conflict of Interest – Major Holdings in Tar Sands Oil, Keystone XL Pipeline, and Canadian Financiers
November 29th, 2012
By Michael Collins
As Secretary of State, Rice would be responsible for the key recommendation to President Barack Obama on lifting thepresident’s ban on construction of the Keystone XL pipeline imposed in January. She would make the decision knowing that there would be major impact on nearly one third of her (and her husband’s) investments.
According to her 2011 financial disclosures, “Rice and her husband own at least $1.25 million worth of stock in four of Canada’s eight leading oil producers.” These include Enbridge, the oil company extracting the highly toxic tar sands oil from Alberta, Canada’s boreal forest, which are being destroyed to access the oil (boreal forests sequester carbon).
Rice has major holdings between $300,000 and $600,000 in TransCanada Corp, the firm building the Keystone XL pipeline. The pipeline crosses the Canadian border at North Dakota and proceeds through the Midwest on its way to Houston, Texas area refineries. The pipeline crosses over the main source of water for the Midwest, the Ogallala Aquifer. The oil will be shipped to China from Houston to fuel that nation’s voracious energy needs.
“Cypherpunks” — The latest from Julian Assange :: available from reKiosk ::
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Please donate via GoFundMe or via paypal to email@example.com
- Study finds more brain disease than ever, and starting earlier than ever
- Killing of Post Office is a Koch-head plot to benefit the likes of FedEx/UPS
- Obama’s fracking rules must have Dick Cheney smiling ear to ear
- FDA winks at mammoth fraud by Indian drug giant making Lipitor
- WiFi is flooding the US with toxic radiation
- Ana on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bev on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Zack Taylor on Vermont may be the first state to require labeling of GM food (as Monsanto sharpens its claws)
- snowcap on All that Mayan blood in Guatemala is on Ronald Reagan’s head
- Susan P on Justice in Guatemala: Rios Montt gets 50 years for genocide and crimes against humanity
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- "Uncle Ruslan" and the CIA's Graham Fuller: WTF?
- IRS was going after Charles and David Koch—and Obama shut it down.
- Darrell Issa, car thief and suspected arsonist! (And that's not all...)
- US media blacks out Italian court ruling that MMR vaccine caused child's autism
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here, contact us for pricing details.