Don’t miss this great event on Thursday!
Straus on Trial:
A Forum on Violations of Workers’ and Students’ Rights by NYU Law School Trustee Daniel Straus
Thursday, November 29th, 7pm
Vanderbilt Hall Room 218, NYU Law School
Invite your friends on Facebook!
Featuring testimony from:
* NYU students threatened by thugs hired by Straus’s company
* Nursing home workers in CT who have been on strike for the past 4 months against Straus’s efforts to strip them of their benefits
* Nursing home workers in NJ who were unlawfully fired and intimidated for trying to form a union
* Ellen Dichner, J.D. a partner at Gladstein, Reif and Meginniss, LLP
In September, NYU students organized a demonstration in support of striking nursing home workers outside the Law School’s Straus Institute for the Advanced Study of Law and Justice. These workers are employed by a company owned by NYU Law School Trustee Daniel Straus, who donates over $1 million a year to the Institute. In response, Straus’s company sent a squad of hired thugs who falsely posed as nursing home workers and threatened to physically assault NYU students (see video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8TtzG_j2i4). After denying they had hired goons for over a month, Straus’s company finally admitted that they had (see The Villager article, “NYU Trustee’s Company Did Hire Goons for Demo”).
Over 600 workers at Straus-owned nursing homes in Connecticut have been on strike for the past four months against efforts to strip them of their benefits. Meanwhile, in New Jersey, workers at nursing homes owned by Straus have been fired for attempting to organize a union. Despite repeated rulings by the National Labor Relations Board that his company’s conduct is unlawful, Straus has persisted.
Is this conduct acceptable for a leading member of the NYU community? Join students, workers, and professors for a forum on violations of workers and students’ rights by Straus, and a discussion about what can be done to secure justice for workers and insure that our campus is a space where students can express themselves without fear of intimidation.
Sponsored by: Law Students for Economic Justice and the Student Labor Action Movement
To co-sponsor, or find out more information, contact: email@example.com
- NYU Trustee’s Company Did Hire Goons for Demo (The Villager)
- Students Join Union Workers to SLAM NYU Law Trustee (The Villager)
- Anti-union, pro-nursing home-owner thugs threaten students at rally for striking workers (DailyKos)
- NYU Students Protest NYU Law Trustee, Support Labor Strike (Washington Square News)
- Protesters Against NYU Law Trustee Unite for Second Demonstration (Washington Square News)
- NYU Trustee Should Also Be Bound by Law (Washington Square News editorial)
- Straus’s CareOne Ordered to Reinstate Nursing Home Workers Fired for Union Activity
- NYU Law Trustee Funds Justice Institute, Locks Out Workers (The Nation)
- NLRB Orders Reinstatement and Back Pay for Healthbridge Strikers (SEIU 1199)
- Know Your Trustees: Daniel E. Straus (NYU Local)
- Strike Against Healthbridge Nursing Homes in Connecticut Continues (NY Times)
- NLRB Seeks Injunction Against Healthbridge to Block Illegal Cuts (SEIU 1199)
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- Early America
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- History Unfolding
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.