Some DMV voter registrations fall through cracks, registrars say
Some would-be voters seek court orders to get ballots counted
By Will Evans on November 12, 2012 – 12:01 a.m. PST
Jonathan Eldridge wanted to vote for president.
The Santa Rosa resident had registered to vote – or so he thought – at a Department of Motor Vehicles office several months ago. But when he called the Sonoma County registrar last week to find out why he hadn’t received any ballot information, Eldridge was told there was no record of his registration.
Eldridge’s only option was to come to the registrar’s office, apply for a last-minute court order allowing him to vote and hope that a judge would approve it.
“I was appalled,” said Eldridge, 44, who works for a computer forensics company. “I was like, ‘How can someone deny me the right to vote?’ I couldn’t believe it.”
One Comment to ““Some” California voters “fell through cracks””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Kaci Hickox trained as an intelligence officer for the CDC
- Japan won’t let doctors report nuke-related illnesses, as radiation worsens since typhoon
- CIA hired many Nazis! NYTimes “breaks” the story 26 years late….
- Booz Allen Hamilton (i.e., the Carlyle Group) is watching you…
- CNN International routinely hypes the UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, and calls it “news”
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Edward Snowden did NOT lie: Michael Green responds to Kevin Ryan
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- "Conspiracy theorists" are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
- Media Matters
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report