Some DMV voter registrations fall through cracks, registrars say
Some would-be voters seek court orders to get ballots counted
By Will Evans on November 12, 2012 – 12:01 a.m. PST
Jonathan Eldridge wanted to vote for president.
The Santa Rosa resident had registered to vote – or so he thought – at a Department of Motor Vehicles office several months ago. But when he called the Sonoma County registrar last week to find out why he hadn’t received any ballot information, Eldridge was told there was no record of his registration.
Eldridge’s only option was to come to the registrar’s office, apply for a last-minute court order allowing him to vote and hope that a judge would approve it.
“I was appalled,” said Eldridge, 44, who works for a computer forensics company. “I was like, ‘How can someone deny me the right to vote?’ I couldn’t believe it.”
One Comment to ““Some” California voters “fell through cracks””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tens of thousands turning out for Bernie Sanders
- How Donald Trump will raise the profile of the White House
- How the players at the (so-called) Robin Hood Foundation want to make us even poorer
- British Special Forces “dressed up as ISIS rebels” fight Assad in Syria
- Citigroup facing federal probe over student loans
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the "case" against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- More on the NY Fed's strange flight to Chicago
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Online Journal
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Richard Charnin
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.