Some DMV voter registrations fall through cracks, registrars say
Some would-be voters seek court orders to get ballots counted
By Will Evans on November 12, 2012 – 12:01 a.m. PST
Jonathan Eldridge wanted to vote for president.
The Santa Rosa resident had registered to vote – or so he thought – at a Department of Motor Vehicles office several months ago. But when he called the Sonoma County registrar last week to find out why he hadn’t received any ballot information, Eldridge was told there was no record of his registration.
Eldridge’s only option was to come to the registrar’s office, apply for a last-minute court order allowing him to vote and hope that a judge would approve it.
“I was appalled,” said Eldridge, 44, who works for a computer forensics company. “I was like, ‘How can someone deny me the right to vote?’ I couldn’t believe it.”
One Comment to ““Some” California voters “fell through cracks””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sen. Markey looking into bogus climate studies funded by Big Oil and Coal
- US to send 300 military “instructors” to Ukraine
- Bibi’s big mouth threatening the neo-con agenda? Even Robert Kagan doesn’t want him bellowing in Congress
- Google plans to rank websites according to their “truthfulness” (GOT THAT?)
- US military officers in ethical collapse, at every level guilty of “dishonesty and deception” (Army War College report)
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Gitmo on Lake Michigan: Chicago PD's "black site" is a glaring crime against the Bill of Rights
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
- Thom Hartmann
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- Online Journal
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.