Some DMV voter registrations fall through cracks, registrars say
Some would-be voters seek court orders to get ballots counted
By Will Evans on November 12, 2012 – 12:01 a.m. PST
Jonathan Eldridge wanted to vote for president.
The Santa Rosa resident had registered to vote – or so he thought – at a Department of Motor Vehicles office several months ago. But when he called the Sonoma County registrar last week to find out why he hadn’t received any ballot information, Eldridge was told there was no record of his registration.
Eldridge’s only option was to come to the registrar’s office, apply for a last-minute court order allowing him to vote and hope that a judge would approve it.
“I was appalled,” said Eldridge, 44, who works for a computer forensics company. “I was like, ‘How can someone deny me the right to vote?’ I couldn’t believe it.”
One Comment to ““Some” California voters “fell through cracks””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greece is losing its free press to fascist violence
- What we’ve done to Iraq with our DU is “genocide,” their doctors rightly say
- WashPost (channeling Langley) slanders Gary Webb AGAIN
- “Cellphones wrecked my health,” says Nokia’s former tech chief
- Remember SCOTUS making BushCo “president”? Now they’ve fixed the Texas midterms…
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- WiFi sickens teacher, students in Los Angeles (school permits no incident reports)
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- alias Bruce
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist