Some DMV voter registrations fall through cracks, registrars say
Some would-be voters seek court orders to get ballots counted
By Will Evans on November 12, 2012 – 12:01 a.m. PST
Jonathan Eldridge wanted to vote for president.
The Santa Rosa resident had registered to vote – or so he thought – at a Department of Motor Vehicles office several months ago. But when he called the Sonoma County registrar last week to find out why he hadn’t received any ballot information, Eldridge was told there was no record of his registration.
Eldridge’s only option was to come to the registrar’s office, apply for a last-minute court order allowing him to vote and hope that a judge would approve it.
“I was appalled,” said Eldridge, 44, who works for a computer forensics company. “I was like, ‘How can someone deny me the right to vote?’ I couldn’t believe it.”
One Comment to ““Some” California voters “fell through cracks””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- “Putin’s a Jew”: Guardian reports (yet downplays) Nazi thrust of Kiev’s eastern drive
- Dept. of the Glaringly Obvious: GOP doesn’t want majority to vote because majority would not elect Republicans
- 53 million US workers—1 out of every 3—is a “freelancer”
- More questions about those “beheadings”
- The nightmare of Bush/Cheney is Obama’s normal
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- More questions about those "beheadings"
- Michigan's "thriving" charter schools are worse than public schools, with no accountability (Detroit Free Press)
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Writers Voice
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.