If Democrats care more about their party than democracy itself, they’re no less a problem than the Rove Republicans.
Romney may have lost, but the voting system is still broken
by Gerry Bello and Bob Fitrakis
November 20, 2012
Two weeks have passed since the night of the Rove meltdown and Romney’s electoral loss. Like the days after a major sports championship, everybody has an opinion on two things: why victory was achieved this time and how victory can be achieved the next time. However, political reality is quite different than sports. Democracy is more than a game. And if our current democracy is a game, the people lost in 2012.
America is at best a minimal democracy. It functionally has two parties, one more than a dictatorship. It allegedly grants one person one vote each election, although this is not constitutionally guaranteed. Our elections fail to meet even minimal standards by allowing the racist suppression of votes that we thought was outlawed in 1965. What this election has made clear is that more than a small minority seek to erase 140 years of struggle from Andrew Jackson to Lyndon Johnson to secure and defend these most basic tenets of democracy: the right to vote.
Here at the Columbus Free Press, we believe there was an attempted Election Day coup. We believe but cannot yet prove that Karl Rove was far from being delusional when he expected to win Ohio. He thought the fix was in. We assert, and can and will prove that there was a criminal conspiracy that violated civil rights laws to deprive certain segments of the Ohio citizenry of their franchise based on race. We can and will hold those responsible for these crimes against democracy and humanity accountable within the limits of our power. We believe that Ohio Secretary of State is a criminal and an objective racist for his attacks on minority voting rights.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NYU reneges on its loud promises to pay the migrant workers who built its Abu Dhabi campus
- Why did Bernie pull his punches?
- OOPS! Victim testimonies in UK child sex abuse inquiry ALL DELETED (quite by accident, of course)
- “Untold number of civilians” slaughtered by Obama’s (airborne) Murder, Inc.
- To censor a live feed of the debate, CNN shuts down @Bernie2016tv
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- US forced Iraqis to buy seeds from Monsanto—and now we're ALL under the gun! (2)
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The Ostroy Report
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Election Defense Alliance
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.