Gatorade is one of the most recognizable sport drinks for athletes. High schooler Sarah Kavanagh knows this — she sometimes chooses to drink Gatorade after soccer and volleyball games.
When she noticed “Brominated Vegetable Oil” (BVO) listed as an ingredient in her Gatorade, she looked it up — and found out that it’s considered a flame retardant and banned in countries like Japan and the European Union.
Sarah knows that Gatorade would never want their drinks to be seen as a health risk. When she read about other consumers starting petitions on Change.org that successfully got companies like Starbucks to remove unwanted ingredients, she decided to start a petition asking Gatorade to stop using BVO in their sport drinks. Sign her petition by clicking here.
Gatorade says they use BVO just to keep certain colors bright — even though some research suggests it can cause impaired brain development, reduced fertility, and can stay in the body for a long time.
The government and the sports drink industry claim that it’s safe to use BVO below certain levels, but Sarah says she doesn’t want dangerous flame retardants of any amount in her Gatorade.
BVO is not in every Gatorade drink — just a few flavors. Sarah doesn’t think it makes sense that they would keep such a controversial ingredient for just a couple of drinks, especially since they already have to take it out for sale in other countries.
Thanks for being a change – maker,
Pulin and the Change.org team
One Comment to “Let’s get the poison out of Gatorade!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Putin’s a Jew”: Guardian reports (yet downplays) Nazi thrust of Kiev’s eastern drive
- Dept. of the Glaringly Obvious: GOP doesn’t want majority to vote because majority would not elect Republicans
- 53 million US workers—1 out of every 3—is a “freelancer”
- More questions about those “beheadings”
- The nightmare of Bush/Cheney is Obama’s normal
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- More questions about those "beheadings"
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Michigan's "thriving" charter schools are worse than public schools, with no accountability (Detroit Free Press)
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- Writers Voice
- The Ostroy Report
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- Early America
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.