Gatorade is one of the most recognizable sport drinks for athletes. High schooler Sarah Kavanagh knows this — she sometimes chooses to drink Gatorade after soccer and volleyball games.
When she noticed “Brominated Vegetable Oil” (BVO) listed as an ingredient in her Gatorade, she looked it up — and found out that it’s considered a flame retardant and banned in countries like Japan and the European Union.
Sarah knows that Gatorade would never want their drinks to be seen as a health risk. When she read about other consumers starting petitions on Change.org that successfully got companies like Starbucks to remove unwanted ingredients, she decided to start a petition asking Gatorade to stop using BVO in their sport drinks. Sign her petition by clicking here.
Gatorade says they use BVO just to keep certain colors bright — even though some research suggests it can cause impaired brain development, reduced fertility, and can stay in the body for a long time.
The government and the sports drink industry claim that it’s safe to use BVO below certain levels, but Sarah says she doesn’t want dangerous flame retardants of any amount in her Gatorade.
BVO is not in every Gatorade drink — just a few flavors. Sarah doesn’t think it makes sense that they would keep such a controversial ingredient for just a couple of drinks, especially since they already have to take it out for sale in other countries.
Thanks for being a change – maker,
Pulin and the Change.org team
One Comment to “Let’s get the poison out of Gatorade!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Sen. Markey looking into bogus climate studies funded by Big Oil and Coal
- US to send 300 military “instructors” to Ukraine
- Bibi’s big mouth threatening the neo-con agenda? Even Robert Kagan doesn’t want him bellowing in Congress
- Google plans to rank websites according to their “truthfulness” (GOT THAT?)
- US military officers in ethical collapse, at every level guilty of “dishonesty and deception” (Army War College report)
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Gitmo on Lake Michigan: Chicago PD's "black site" is a glaring crime against the Bill of Rights
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Ostroy Report
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.